OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

eotech 512 or FF3

Started by Full strut, March 08, 2015, 05:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full strut

im sure this is everyones first time hearing this debate but i am finally biting the bullet and putting an optic on my 24" sbe2. looking at either the eotech 512 or the ff3 on 335 base. anyone that has an eotech i would like to know if it sits up to high for your liking in the turkey woods, i already know the optic is dang near bulletproof. with the FF3 i know people recommend the 336 base but what do i have to do to the base/ my gun to mount it to a pre drilled sbe2? thanks yall

chatterbox

I have had both, and I found the 512 Eotech to be to heavy, and it sat too high for my liking on my 835. I had to add a beartooth comb raiser to keep from getting slapped in the cheek.
So, I sold mine, and put an FFIII on mine with the 336 base. For me, the holes lined up right where I needed, so no drilling was needed.
I do not know anything about the SBE2, but I would think you would need to bring the gun to a competent gunsmith with the 336 base in hand, and have them line up the holes, and get your receiver drilled and tapped that way.
Others who have that combo might be able to answer your questions better.
I love my FFIII with the 336. Super low, and that little sight is tough as a tank. It is waterproof, recoil proof and can handle anything thrown at it. Couple that with a bullet proof forever burris warrantee, and you can't go wrong!

Full strut

thanks for the reply chatterbox! yeah ive heard nothing but good stuff about the FF3 / 336 mount. hoping to hear from someone that has mounted one on an SBE2.

alloutdoors

Since your SBE2 is already drilled I would see if you can just get the base drilled to match, rather than putting another set of holes in the receiver.

Full strut

That's a good idea, and I've thought about it before. Gonna stop by gobbler gun this week and talk to rob. See if he can make that work. Has anyone else ever done that?

K9Doc

FastFire 3 with 8MOA Dot and picatinny
Protector mount included on eBay now
For $235!!! Great deal.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Full strut

That is a really good deal! I was thinking about the 3 moa but for the right price I would go for the 8 moa

beagler

I don't care for how high the EoTechs sit on the receiver.
Never Misses

Full strut

I figured that would be most people's response. They are a fantastic sight but I guess not for this application. Thinking about modding a 336 mount or using a speed bead mount for a FF3 instead

jay/nc

I've got an 8moa FF3/Speedbead mount on my Benelli M2 & love it. I've used a Nikon Turkeypro scope on a Rem 870 in the past but got tired of the size & weight of it.
The Speedbead mount works really well with the FF3 IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Ff3 all the way. Even if you put it on a pic rail it will sit much lower than the eotech will. I just use the pic rail with my ff3 and have the medium gel comb on my sbe2 and it is perfect for me. Good luck

harleytom

I have an Eotech 512 on my 1187 and love it. 3 yrs of heavy use and never an issue. I guess it sets up high but it's a red dot so I just put the dot where I want to shoot and don't worry much about head position in relation to stock. I suppose it's heavy but if you are lugging around 12ga 3.5 semi autos fully loaded you aren't too concerned with that either. Just my opinion. You can't go wrong either way.

Full strut

Yeah it's a hard choice because either way it is expensive and I wokld hate to pick the wrong one. If I don't have my cheek on the stock I feel like I would get slapped by the stock, probably won't be able to have my face down with the 512 sitting as high as it does