turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Met an Old Timer in the Woods today, Surprising Conversation

Started by zelmo1, March 08, 2015, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

:gobble: :gobble: I met a very interesting old timer today as I put out some feed for the turkeys and deer. We started to talk about the hard winter and how it affected the game animals. He said he believes that the deer kill will only be 10% around these parts and the turkeys will be 20-30%. Then he whips out his hunters GPS and spits out data from the past 3 years. Where and when he saw what, the date and time of his successful hunts. This guy was amazing. I asked him his age, I am 48 and he is much older than I, he said he was 83. I was shocked, I asked how did he get so tech savvy. I retired 21 years ago and have either hunted, scouted, fished or studied this area every day since. The world changes and you have to adapt. I have a new hero. I invited him to hunt with us/me this year and he said, "Good luck and thanks for putting out the feed". I would just follow him around the woods and take notes if he let me. I hope we meet again. Very cool guy.

mgm1955

Gut Pile

With age comes wisdom, sometimes, at least in this case, learn as much as you can from, he might turn out turn out it be a great friend
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

Tennessee Lead

Sounds like a good day and maybe a great friend

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

bammerslammer 50

I love meeting and taking to people like that. Maybe yall will run into each other again.

strutnva

Hooksfan

I ran into a old fella in a small town cafe in Northwest Missouri after a successful morning hunt who was wearing a WWII Pacific Theater Veteran hat one morning several years back.  I thanked him for his service, told him my grandfather was an island hopper and that I was a High School American History teacher.  He pointed to a chair and told me to sit down.  I did what I was told.  I went in  for breakfast and wound up eating lunch there also.  That old man told me stories for two and a half hours that I still use in teaching my classes. 
Can't help but like old folks--especially those from the greatest generation.

zelmo1

Great stuff. I get mesmerized when I get to do this sort of thing. This guy was sharper that any sub 30 year old I know.

jblackburn

Sounds awesome!

He understands that if you're green, you're growing and if you're ripe, you're rotten!  Good for both of you!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tha bugman

:icon_thumright:
Quote from: zelmo1 on March 08, 2015, 03:22:49 PM
:gobble: :gobble: I met a very interesting old timer today as I put out some feed for the turkeys and deer. We started to talk about the hard winter and how it affected the game animals. He said he believes that the deer kill will only be 10% around these parts and the turkeys will be 20-30%. Then he whips out his hunters GPS and spits out data from the past 3 years. Where and when he saw what, the date and time of his successful hunts. This guy was amazing. I asked him his age, I am 48 and he is much older than I, he said he was 83. I was shocked, I asked how did he get so tech savvy. I retired 21 years ago and have either hunted, scouted, fished or studied this area every day since. The world changes and you have to adapt. I have a new hero. I invited him to hunt with us/me this year and he said, "Good luck and thanks for putting out the feed". I would just follow him around the woods and take notes if he let me. I hope we meet again. Very cool guy.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

turkaholic

live to hunt hunt to live

Gut Pile

IMO, that may be the greatest generation of men and women that this this country has ever seen
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation