turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vest?

Started by carbonelement, March 04, 2015, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbonelement

Ok, please remember I am JUST getting started in the sport. I don't have a turkey vest I have always just carried everything in the pockets of my pants. Well that has got me in trouble a few times and I have finally decided I am going to get a vest. Not to mention the fact that having a seat cushion for a change is going to be rather nice I do believe. I do not want to break the bank I am just wanting to get a decent vest with a nice cushion. What do you guys and gals recommend? Since I have never had one and I am not 100% sure I will even like having one I would like to keep it at $100 or less. Can you recommend one? Thank you in advance.

Gooserbat

I would look at the cabelas tatr minimalist vest of I was on a budget.  The seat is so muck better than the rest, and its pocket design is ample for the basic call assortment. I think they are on sale right now. Now that said you'll be ahead to go ahead and poney up the coin for the tactical tater ll.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

This is a great time to pick up one of the Cabela's vests, they have them all on sale right now. The Tat'r vests have one of the best cushions I've found on a turkey vest. The Tat'r II is a great buy at $90, but I personally use the kickstand version and highly recommend it, it's currently $105. Of course you could also go with one of the cheaper vests and save some money, but the sales are always a good time to pick up a high end vest at a more reasonable price.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/mens-turkey-vests-chairs/_/N-1100997/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103950180?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104669280

grayfox

Just go ahead & get the Cabela's Tactical Tater ll & be done with it.  I tried all sorts of vests before getting the Tactical Tater ll just to send them back or use them a while & get rid of them. 

Gobble!

One of the Cabelas TatR vests. They are all on sale right now.
http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=157673880
Can't beat those prices for a great vest, most under $100.
Just got myself a III. Really like it. Had the II in the past and it just seemed bulky.

jason5.9

I just saw a new vest out this year from Field and Stream called the Tactical Turkey Rig Vest.  It is based off the Military MOLLE system, when you buy the vest you get an assortment of pouches and pockets that you put where you want on the vest, and if you want special accessories like a Thermacell holster, pistol holster (if you carry) etc. 

I have narrowed my vest selection down to this and the Cabelas Tactical TATr 3.  Just havent decided to pull the trigger on either yet, but tomorrow I will be at cabelas so I can put hands on theirs and see how I like it.

Hope you find what youre looking for.

Marc

This looks like a good vest for the money to me:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beard-Buster-Turkey-Vest/1943376.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dturkey%2Bvest%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=turkey+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Problem for me, is that it only comes in one size, and most vests fit me like a dress...  I guess the vast majority of turkey hunters must be huge, big, fat guys.  I am a smaller guy, and wear a medium or large shirt, and most Med/L vests are huge on me...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jason5.9

I know you said youre on a budget but just like everything else in this world...  you get what you pay for especially when it comes to vests.  You could buy one of these $50 vests each year, or you could buy a $100 vest that last 3-5 years... 

Huntingwithahoyt

Here's a life lesson...."it only costs a little more to go first class." I personally should have learned that a long time ago...take the above advice and spend a little more now....
Now my advice DONT base the vest on the seat that comes with it....THE BEST seat u will ever have is an inner tube, wheel barrow size. I've used it for years, no butt numbing, you are sitting on air...go buy some heavy material and have a case made for it with a zipper, thorns and such will poke holes in the bare tube, learned from experience.....I personally have a Primos vest, probably 10-12 years old. Only had one other before that.....been turkey hunting....34 years this spring
GOOD  LUCK

Sent from: 20 ft up in a treestand!

K9Doc

I too am in the market for a new vest.
Tenzing, Knights Products Vest, or Beard Buster
Slingshot.
Leaning towards Tenzing and I completely
Agree with the Small Inner-tube.
Best seat in the house.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bammerslammer 50

Quote from: Marc on March 04, 2015, 09:33:09 PM
This looks like a good vest for the money to me:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beard-Buster-Turkey-Vest/1943376.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dturkey%2Bvest%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=turkey+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Problem for me, is that it only comes in one size, and most vests fit me like a dress...  I guess the vast majority of turkey hunters must be huge, big, fat guys.  I am a smaller guy, and wear a medium or large shirt, and most Med/L vests are huge on me...
You cant beat those self supporting seats on those redhead vest in my opinion. I keep trying new stuff and going back to them. Dont laugh or nothing but they make a "woman's" version. Its smaller with slightly fewer pockets. I think it would be great for smaller people as well as youngsters.

strum

Hello guys ..I'm new to this forum and so far I'm liking it..
I have some of the same questions as carbonelement about the vests.
Last year I tried a HSstrut(cheepy) I absolutely hate it..
first the strap/buckles are in the worst place ever. making it very easy to clang my gun butt on them..
the seat cushion is ok(would like It to be thicker) but it attaches via a magnet and continually falls down when walking.
im a ,pack as lite as possible person so im looking for a light weight vest with a decent seat and ample pockets.
yall about got me sold on the "minimalist"
  any other thoughts ?  thanks 

hookedspur

Check out the Primos Gobbler Vest ,it has a good seat and enough pockets to carry anything you
could want .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

strum

Quote from: hookedspur on March 05, 2015, 09:35:55 AM
Check out the Primos Gobbler Vest ,it has a good seat and enough pockets to carry anything you
could want .

will do thanks

Gooserbat

Hey I know I done posted but I'll add I've tried just about every vest on the market.  The cabelas tactical tater is IMHO the best regardless of cost.  The promos is a good vest as well but I believe the tater gets the nod.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.