turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where to scout for turkey on this property

Started by clfergus, March 04, 2015, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I have a lease that I hunted Deer on this past year and am thinking about trying to turkey hunt it. I posted a pic. The land is the area inside the yellow boot marked with the X's.

I observed a few turkey last fall in the S/SE section of the property but just a couple. Most times just one bird and it was so far off from my treestand I have no idea what it was.

The property has a creek running along the east side as well as a 2 acre pond in the center. This year all fields were planted in corn. In total its roughly 80 acres.

GobbleNut

On a property that small, I would do nothing more than take a couple of mornings before the season and listen for gobbling right at first light, and then use binoculars to glass for birds from the perimeter from early to mid-morning and then again in the late afternoon.  If there are roads that skirt the area and the surrounding properties, I would use those (if they are public) to look for birds on the property, or close enough that they might venture onto the property during the day. 

With that creek going through the area, if there are many birds in the vicinity, I would expect them to use the creek corridor often.  If I was to pick one likely spot to set up without ever having been there, it would be that eastern edge of the north field next to the wooded area and creek. 

shaman

I agree.  Let your ears do the work.   
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

zelmo1

:anim_25: Good advice from GobbleNut. I might sneak in early just before the season and listen to the place wake up in the morning. Probably near the pond. Good luck

clfergus

I am more likely to hear sounds in the spring than fall correct since its mating season for Turkey. I know the 30 mornings I sat in the fall deer hunting I heard zippo

Gobble!

Stand at that pond and listen. You will hear gobbling if there are any around. Not sure where this is but I am starting to hear some gobbling here in MD. Temps in the 60s next week so I will be out listening. Looks like you will be hunting field birds if there anything around. Would be good to see where the are flying down in the mornings but don't get to close and only watch from somewhere you have an easy exit.

bamagtrdude

Water, ridges, and pastures ...  the top 3 things to get a handle on when scouting.  Roads & bottoms are also high on the list, too.  If you've got some game cams, put 'em on the pasture to keep an eye on the corners, esp the ones that back up to that pond.

But, ya, like others have said, probably safe to get into that head of woods, close to the pond, camo'ed up & hid real good, and listen.  That big creek on the eastern side is mighty inviting, too.

This is a neat little piece of land to get your arms around quickly & *IF* there are birds, get 'em on the ground fast, with a little bit of scouting & legwork, pre-season.

Good luck!
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)