OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SX3 24" or Franchi Intesity 26"

Started by Fatbeard, March 03, 2015, 10:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatbeard

I am stuck trying to decide which one to get. The Winchester has a 24" and the Franchi has a 26". The upside to the Franchi is I could also use it to waterfowl and maybe dove hunt with. The Winchester would be turkey only. Do not really need either but I have a choice at work on which one to choose. Which do you think is the better shotgun I quess is my? I really like both
East TN Beard Buster

SKFOOTER

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

taylorjones20

SX3 is a fantastic gun.  If it's a good enough deal you could buy a 26" barrel for a little under $400...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Nummies24

zelmo1

:fud: SX3 Turkey is my next gun. Like you said, it will be for turkey only. But, that is why I am buying it.

snapper1982

When I had this same choice between the same guns in 20 gauge. I chose the sx3 and absolutely love it. I can't say anything bad about the franchi but I can say the sx3 is an awesome gun.

Tail Feathers

I don't hear folks talking bad about Franchi, (or Benelli) or the Winchester SX3.
But if I read it right, the SX3 is the only one that comes drilled and tapped (Universal Hunter) or with a cantilever for mounting a red dot or scope. 
I've read that you can't drill and tap the Benelli or Franchi.  Check that information if a sight or some type is important to you.

I chose the SX3 in 20 gauge.  Quite please but I've only shot it at the range and for ducks so far.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

reynolds243

Do you want a gas or inertia gun? To me besides fit that's the biggest question.

I believe you can tap Franchis as I've seen a few it done to but don't know that for sure.

Another thought is aftermarket or accessories. I don't think there are any pistol grips or speedbead set ups for the Franchi which stinks.

Having said all that I am a benelli man personally so that would be my choice.

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding"

Sent from my phone because I'm that cool

gsp

Just bought a sx3 with 26" barrel max 5 camo. I have owned lots of B guns and this one fits me great. I was going to pull the trigger on the maxus, but the forearm killed it for me. I like the solid lock up using a forearm cap.

Haven't had a chance to run some shells through it yet. With the 10"s of snow we're supposed to get, it may be a while >:( 
Just picked up a code black tube and need to pattern soon ;)

snapper1982

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 04, 2015, 05:09:05 PM
Do you want a gas or inertia gun? To me besides fit that's the biggest question.

I believe you can tap Franchis as I've seen a few it done to but don't know that for sure.

Another thought is aftermarket or accessories. I don't think there are any pistol grips or speedbead set ups for the Franchi which stinks.

Having said all that I am a benelli man personally so that would be my choice.

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding"

Sent from my phone because I'm that cool

There isn't an after market thumbhole or pistol grip for the sx3 either that I know of. Looked and been looking but have not found one.

Marc

My priority is wing-shooting, and probably would not consider a gun with such a short barrel, and thus a single-function gun.  I have never owned either gun, but have shot both...  I know far more people with the Winchester.

Pro Franchi:

1) The inertia-type systems are generally easier to maintain, and generally more reliable (brand dependent of course).
2) Longer barrel would give you a gun that could function for other shooting activities.

Pro Winchester:

1) Gas-operated guns tend to have less recoil than inertia guns. (The SX-3 is a soft-shooting gun in my opinion)
2) Parts and accessories will likely be easier to find for the SX-3, should something go wrong.
3) Currently, the Winchester is a far more popular gun, and will likely hold more resale value should you change your mind later.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Fatbeard

Looks like the Wichester is the all out leader. The operating system is not a big priority. I have picked up both guns and they both feel great. The Winchester does have the cantilever on it. Get to pick it out in May.
East TN Beard Buster

Dr Juice

laker