turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cheaper great calls

Started by chad fenton, March 03, 2015, 12:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad fenton

Well this got in my head from this........I traded a box call for a can creek aluminum pot.  It is a very good sou ding call to my ear anyway.  I have heard alot of good things about them as well.  I waas looki in my midwest turkey magazi e and noticed how well priced they are.  I think for the money they are a VERY good call.
My question is what call do you know of that is low cost but very high on performance?  I hope I worded this without sounding like I am calling these great priced calls cheap.

perrytrails

For a long time, the Primos Power Crystal was hard to beat for $20 bucks. I actually think I paid less than that when it first came out.

Don't quite think they are made as well now as they were. Hear say...

Marc

Good diaphragm call are only about $8-12 apiece...  I guess they are inexpensive as compared to other game calls...

I have a Lynch box call that I got last year for $12 out of Wingsupply, and it has a really nice high-pitched yet raspy yelp, that pulled a bird into me that would not answer any of my other calls...

My experience with cheap calls is that sometimes it is a matter of luck...  You can get a cheap call that sounds great, and buy the same model call that sounds nowhere as good...  The better (and generally more expensive) calls are more likely to have a consistent quality to them.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ferocious calls

Pehaps inexpensive is the word you seek. I have a stock of inexpensive great calls waiting for homes and hunts.

M,Yingling

Quote from: ferocious calls on March 03, 2015, 07:30:01 AM
Pehaps inexpensive is the word you seek. I have a stock of inexpensive great calls waiting for homes and hunts.

Kip makes some sweet sounding looking calls I got a few myself and he did one for my daughter with her name and nice laser art on it ,,,,,,,,,,

Mike from spring creek has some killer sounding box calls also his all walnut boxes is right at the top
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

M,Yingling

Quote from: chad fenton on March 03, 2015, 12:48:06 AM
and noticed how well priced they are.  I think for the money they are a VERY good call.

if it cost double the money  would it still be a very good call ??
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TauntoHawk

Cane creek makes some fine calls at a great price point, it depends on what you consider cheap/inexpensive. With some top pot calls going for $85 and many good boxes over $100 id say inexpensive "hunting" calls are pots under $40 and boxes under $60 but thats just me.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WillowRidgeCalls

FACTS.........Todays society won't let you sell a CHEAP or INEXPENSIVE call. If you build a call and ask $20. for it, it'll set in your shop for years, BUT if you asked $70. for it, it's gone in a matter of minutes. The $20. and the $70. call are exactly the same call, but in todays society someone will come up with a reason that a $20. call has to be junk!!!
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Sixes

packmule

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 03, 2015, 08:47:27 AM
Mike from spring creek has some killer sounding box calls also his all walnut boxes is right at the top

X2, Mike does make a great box that is very fairly priced.

scoot12

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on March 03, 2015, 10:05:38 AM
FACTS.........Todays society won't let you sell a CHEAP or INEXPENSIVE call. If you build a call and ask $20. for it, it'll set in your shop for years, BUT if you asked $70. for it, it's gone in a matter of minutes. The $20. and the $70. call are exactly the same call, but in todays society someone will come up with a reason that a $20. call has to be junk!!!
[/quo

So true Scott,  guys think well its expensive so it must be good,  I have bought some $60-$70 pot calls that just sit there. 

te]

scoot12

Lonnie Mabry if you can get one.  Scoot

Jbird22

Either of the Lonnie's, Sneed or Mabry. Considering a pot call from either can be had for $30 or less, I'd say they are about as good as you can get for the price.

Smooth_Operator

Many great call makers here offer great products at great value.  My two Spring Creek scratch boxes for instance, probably make the most realistic hen turkey sounds out of all the calls I own.  As far as production calls go, I still carry around an H.S. Strut Lil Deuce that I bought years ago on the cheap.  Paired with a carbon striker and light pressure, it makes some nasty cuts and yelps that drive gobblers crazy...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

mgm1955

:agreed:
Quote from: packmule on March 03, 2015, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: M,Yingling on March 03, 2015, 08:47:27 AM

X2, Mike does make a great box that is very fairly priced.