OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How many different properties do you hunt?

Started by Hooksfan, March 02, 2015, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

I spent the day off work today driving around and knocking on doors and secured a new place to hunt. Got me to thinking about some of my buddies who focus on one really good property. I can't afford expensive quality leases, but have had a lot of success gaining access to places that I don't have sole access to and are mediocre by Missouri standards. As of now, I can think of 11 different farms I currently have access to that are, with the exeption of two of them, all hit and miss as far as having birds. The two that are what I consider quality properties are also pretty heavily pressured. I try to hit those during the week before work.

My idea is that a lot of ok properties are better than just relying on one great place and running the risk of something going wrong--say a flooded creek during season cutting off access or the property owner selling or losing a lease, etc. Any folks out there have the same idea?

silvestris

On a particular day, all one can ask for is one gobbling adult turkeys.  Less = birdwatching.  More = too many decisions.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

taylorjones20

I try to gain access to as many pieces of property that I can.  Then at least go to them one evening or morning to see if there's any gobbling.  If no sign or sound of turkeys, I just don't hunt it.  But I think last season I hunted around 20 different properties...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

stinkpickle

The more options you have, the better.  Sometimes, an unpressured mediocre property is better than a pressured honey hole.

J Hook Max

Marc

Accessing private property for hunting is a difficult feat in California.  I am very lucky to have access to two different properties in close proximity.  Both properties are 400-500 acres and have a handful of birds on them.

Public land is extremely pressured with very few birds...  Killing a tom on public land here is a feat of and in itself...  Although, this year, I have found some birds in some areas that I hope will not be overly pressured, and might just give some new public areas a try.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

yelpaholic

ridgerunner

West Augusta

I basically have two 300 acre farms to hunt now.  One is owned by a very old lady that was a friend of my Grandmothers.  She has no family and who knows where that farm will end up.  I'll hate to lose it.  I lost use of some coal company land a few years ago.  Probably 2000 acres that I had to go through 3 locked gates and check in with a guard to get to.  I really hated to lose that one.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

born2hunt

As of right now I hunt three smaller farms and two are both owned by men in their 80s who's kids have no interest in the land . Those two are hot little spots most years but I'm wise enough to know my time there is limited. The other is not bad but normally a backup plan. When those old fellas are gone I will be hunting 99% public land, unless I can secure something else.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Tennessee Lead

I have 3 properties that I can hunt that my employer owns. I primarily hunt one. I have it to myself and it is ruff and steep but holds several birds.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

TauntoHawk

In PA i hunt public or drive 3.5 hrs to my unlces land, In NY I can think of 10 Farms i have access too ranging from 50-500 acres some have multiple birds every day in almost the same trees year after year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

Honestly I have more than I can hunt but I like to keep my options open.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

shaman

I had a heck of a time this morning.  I had a nice response all written out and I hit the submit button and . . .   Nothing.

I really liked what I had written so I decided to put it up on my weblog.  Here's what you should have gotten around 0644 ET today:

Where the shaman hunts
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

zelmo1

We have 12-15 small pieces to hunt and 5 large pieces way out in the boonies, these are my favorites. Less pressure but less birds. I don't want a bird feeder bird.