OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Getting a new shotgun / need advice on choke tube

Started by Sampsta, March 02, 2015, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sampsta

So I am picking up a Mossberg 500 12 ga this season ( deer  / bird combo ) good deal...
what choke tube have any other hunters used with the MB 500...to get the best patterns im guessing ill get 40 yd shots with some of the newer loads....

need some feedback

jordanz7935

My turkey hunting mentor,my uncle, has been carrying a Moss 500,28"bbl, with a kicks gt .665 for 10+ yrs. Hes been killing them for years mainly with Win HV #6s.He also has used HV #5s and Mag blends. Hes never been one to count holes in paper, but ive seen the patterns and plenty of dead birds to back it up.Many other good chokes on the market for that gun though im sure others will chime in.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Snoodsniper

I think there's a rhino in the classified for a good price.

Sampsta

so either a rhino or sumtoys are good chokes to use for the mossbergs?

jordanz7935

Rhino,sumtoy,kicks,indian creek,carlsons,trulock,patternmaster all make good chokes. The skys the limit really. Id stay away from chinese made truglo chokes.It all depends on what you want to shoot for ammo and how much $ you wanna spend. Id reccomend Winchester Longbeards or Federal Heavyweight #7s. Trulock makes a specific choke for the Fed HW 7s that has gotten great reviews. Now the longbeards seem to pattern great with just about any turkey choke. :z-twocents:

bamagtrdude

BEFORE you drop a lot of coin on a choke, shoot your gun w/the factory turkey choke tube.  I'm getting great results with the factory tube in my new Remington 870 w/Long Beard XR #6's 3.5" shells.  My turkey hunting mentor has the same setup, along with another friend of mine, the the Long Beards are loving their plain jane, factory setup.

I'm just saying to TRY IT and then if it doesn't pattern well, pursue an after-market choke.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

jordanz7935

Bamagtrdude, i dont think a turkey choke comes with that deer/bird combo. But if it does take his advice and try some longbeards through it. Otherwise id reccomend something like a carlson .660 to try longbeards with. I wouldnt purchase a mossberg tukey choke for that gun just for the fact theres basically no resale value on them. If you get an aftermarket tube and youre not happy with it, put it for sale on here and buy something different. Not saying a mossberg turkey choke wont work because it just might, but if it doesnt work your gonna be stuck with it unless you basically give it away.

bamagtrdude

10-4 ...  well, let me ask this -- will the 835 factory Mossberg turkey choke tube work on the 500?  If *SO*, I've got one at the house that I can mail out to you!!

LET ME KNOW!  I don't need it anymore, so it's just taking up space...

BGD
---

Sampsta

on my sons 20 ga mossberg 500 we use hevi shot or magnum blend and he gets good patterns up to 30yd..

so dumb question but ill ask.....cna certian choke tubes only handle lead..and others can handle HTL?

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Sampsta on March 03, 2015, 12:54:08 PM
on my sons 20 ga mossberg 500 we use hevi shot or magnum blend and he gets good patterns up to 30yd..

so dumb question but ill ask.....cna certian choke tubes only handle lead..and others can handle HTL?

AH my choke tube for my old 835 is a 12ga choke, so ...  :(  that won't work...

re: chokes & lead/HTL, you are 100% correct!  Many (not all) factory chokes are rated for lead only, while most after-market chokes can handle the HTL shells.  You just gotta make sure w/the manufacturer what they rate their chokes to handle.  I've heard that if you fire HTL thru a lead-only choke, it can make 'em expand & get stuck in the end of your barrel.
---

davisd9

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 03, 2015, 12:14:16 PM
10-4 ...  well, let me ask this -- will the 835 factory Mossberg turkey choke tube work on the 500?  If *SO*, I've got one at the house that I can mail out to you!!

LET ME KNOW!  I don't need it anymore, so it's just taking up space...

BGD

835/935 are accu mag chokes, 500, 535, 930 are invector chokes.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

SumToy will get you set up with great service. Hard to go wrong with an Indian Creek. Pure Gold will not give the biggest numbers in the world but they will throw an excellent, even hunting pattern. Good luck in your quest!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

northms

I had on old mossberg 500 I've used for a decade until I upgraded to  Benelli Super Nova this last year.

I used just a full invector choke on it with Longbeard #5 or #6 and it threw a devastating pattern.

Don't think it was so much the choke as the shell.  I used them last year for the first time and was shocked at the pattern.  Worth giving them a try.

Sampsta

What  about the Winchester longboard choke any luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk