OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Polishing the barrel on 935

Started by Easttnhunter01, February 28, 2015, 10:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easttnhunter01

I've read about polishing barrels some but I don't know much of anything about it... Can somebody tell me the stuff I need to do this? Is it worth doing as far as improving my pattern goes?

Phire Phite

The second stickey down at the top of the page started by VAHUNTER is what you're looking for.  "polishing your barrel updated pics"

Ihuntoldschool

Opinions vary on this, there is no consensus. Some choke/barrel smiths will tell you the rougher the bore the tighter the pattern. I have even heard of roughing up the choke area for tighter patterns. A lot of "turkey" shoots have been won with rusted bores that guys never cleaned. Other choke/barrel smiths will tell you the smoother the bore, the less friction the shot cup encounters and the better the pattern.

DirtNap647

I dunno what it is but the two 835 I own both like a dirty barrel I clean them they open up asd I shoot they start to close right back up cant explain it...

owlhoot

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 01, 2015, 06:50:18 AM
I dunno what it is but the two 835 I own both like a dirty barrel I clean them they open up as I shoot they start to close right back up cant explain it...
What was left in the barrel?
Did you completely remove the oil and residue from cleaning?

Denatured alcohol may help.

fountain2

Shoot it first and see how it does like it is...just clean it good with a bore snake and run alcohol swab the bbl to clean any left over residue out.....then shoot and see how it does. 
Don't jump out there and go crazy polishing it just yet.  It takes a lot of work to get one shiny, but in my cases, none of my 835 ever like it and they haven't came back around to shooting like they did before I messed with em.  I've seen it do more harm that good some times.
A good cleaning is where I would start.  My 870 likes a one shot dirty bbl...so I just snake it, shoot it with bird shot and its ready

Easttnhunter01

I cleaned it good yesterday I may shoot it one day this week it's suppose to warm up some I think.. It shot pretty good before I cleaned it or considered polishing it, but I always want more out of anything

fountain2

It may do great polished, but then you may work yourself to death polishing only to find it didn't do anything... like I did.  I was chasing numbers and ended up losing a lot

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Easttnhunter01 on February 28, 2015, 10:06:07 AM
I've read about polishing barrels some but I don't know much of anything about it... Can somebody tell me the stuff I need to do this? Is it worth doing as far as improving my pattern goes?

I own 835s, a 935 and an SSi-ONE all with the overbored .775 barrels and all I recommend is a "deep clean" for them. It removes "gunk" so that you can start with a squeaky clean bore. I recommend shooting, without cleaning in between shots, so that you can learn which way your particular gun patterns best. Some like clean, some like a fouling shot and some like it dirty. You'll never know unless you start out clean and shoot until patterns either degrade of get better, keeping very accurate records of each shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Easttnhunter01

Ok thanks, this kinda has changed my mind about polishing for now.. Thanks guys