turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shotgun prices ...?

Started by DirtNap647, February 26, 2015, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

ive shot mossbergs all my life 835 and 935 like them a lot just have the itch for a new semi and got to wondering im in it for best pattern and shotguns range from cheap to very expensive my question is do the patterns get any better as the price goes up or is it just function I have local shop guys tellin me they would put there super black eagle as the best patterning gun others say nothing patterns like a maxus  I don't have the funds to try them all and was wondering what are we payin for here lol...?

Ihuntoldschool

I would not equate a higher price tag with better patterns. In my experience a Benelli or Browning will function no better than your Mossberg.

DirtNap647

kinda what im thinking hoping some guys that own these more expensive guns would chime in and give their opinion is it worth the money for patterning or function when it comes to function i think that comes more into play with duck hunting seems you are cycling a lot more shells but as far as turkey not so much just like to hear every ones opinion...

dirt road ninja

In the world of turkey hunting I can't see where that logic applies. My personal experience dictates the opposite. As far a quality and ease to the shoulder goes, yes I feel a difference with more expensive shotguns.

fldoghunter

I have a super black eagle 2. I bought it to shoot buckshot out of, and for that, it's awesome. I've killed 5 or 6 turkeys with it, but my 3" 21" barrel 870 shoots and carries better. Now, I haven't poured alot of money into chokes/shells for either. I just prefer to carry the short gun and it's always done the job, so I left it at that. The SBE is my deer gun.

One thing to consider if you're wanting a super black eagle, the receiver is so long that my 24" barreled gun with a turkey choke is almost as long as a pump gun with a 28" barrel.

zeke632

Expensive doesn't mean better in a lot of areas.  Especially in a shotgun pattern.
Find the one that fits you, feels good in your hands and pocket book. 

DirtNap647

to me they all feel the same just trying to achieve best tightest pattern for hunting

davisd9

If you are chasing numbers and tightness than you are not finding the best hunting pattern.  A good hunting pattern has decent numbers, but is more importantly even and allows human error. Any shotgun can produce this, some just take a little more effort.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

taylorjones20

Having shot the mossberg 500, 835, and the newer Rem 870 (no offense to anyone who likes them, they will get the job done, but they feel cheaply made, and are loud with the forearm, etc.)  Also, having shot the SBE2, SX3, Gold, there's no ever going back to any of the previous guns for me.  I am currently shooting a Browning Gold and it is a very good shooting gun.  Of course the SBE2 is on my list of things to get in the near future.

One thing I have noticed when looking at some guns is the barrel rib doesn't line up straight with the receiver.  I have a 835 in my house right now that is like that, you have to use fiber optics or scope to get poi same as poa. Also had an old 500 that was so bad crooked we couldn't get enough adjustment out of fiber optics to get it to shoot straight.

So far, I have never seen flaws like that in the higher end guns.  Most companies like Nitro Company, Rob Roberts, etc. that pattern and test guns, swear by the Benelli, especially the SBE2.

It really is just like everything else in life - You get what you pay for.  Just my  :z-twocents:
Alive only by the Grace Of God

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dirt nap on February 26, 2015, 11:38:43 PM
ive shot mossbergs all my life 835 and 935 like them a lot just have the itch for a new semi and got to wondering im in it for best pattern and shotguns range from cheap to very expensive my question is do the patterns get any better as the price goes up or is it just function I have local shop guys tellin me they would put there super black eagle as the best patterning gun others say nothing patterns like a maxus  I don't have the funds to try them all and was wondering what are we payin for here lol...?

I have seen guns in all price categories throw excellent patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

870FaceLift

I agree with Clark 100%.  All of the shotguns mentioned can be tweeked to throw desirable patterns if that's what you're after.  I spend my turkey time juggling between an 870, a SuperNova, and an SBEII.  I like them all for different reasons.  The 870 was my first turkey gun, so it has nostalgia (20+ years old).  The SuperNova has the steadygrip, which is excellent for turkey setups and just plain fun to take out.  The SBEII, which is my favorite to tote around, is lighter and carries better IMO.  I have had Rob Roberts perform work on the SBEII, so it throws the best pattern, but they're all killers and don't vary by much.
Pass it on...

fountain2

it all boils down to what you want the gun for..straight turkey hunting id say 835 and 870.  those are proven and both have earned their rights..not saying the rest wont, but the 835 and 870 are bulletproof and shoot well.
if you are looking for a "do all" I may look at the benelli or maxxus or any other high end auto.  they will do the job well

if you are going to a new turkey killer..look into the 20s

grayfox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 27, 2015, 08:43:45 AM
If you are chasing numbers and tightness than you are not finding the best hunting pattern.  A good hunting pattern has decent numbers, but is more importantly even and allows human error. Any shotgun can produce this, some just take a little more effort.

Great words of wisdom.

daymude7288

I have a thousand dollar SX3 sitting in the gun cabinet and still choose to hunt turkeys with my 870. 

mudhen

I've had 20+ dedicated turkey guns in the past 40 years...

If I had to start all over in 2015, and wanted something better than the cheaply made Mossturd, or the quirky 870's, but didn't want to pay $2000 for an Italian gun that carries $1400 in mark-up, padded margin, customs, freight, etc., I would look at a Browning BPS, or maybe real Remington Wingmaster....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka