turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Super X2 and Longbeards???

Started by Leebob, February 26, 2015, 07:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leebob

I'm shooting a Super X2, 26" barrel, with a .665 Indian Creek. I bought some LB 3.5" #5 after running out of my favorite supreme elite HD #6's. First shot with the new LB's was 8" low and best pattern was 135 in 10" @ 40yds. After buying a tru-glow sight and adjusting it way up, it now hits POA, but the last few shots were in the 110 range. Gun was clean when I started and temp was 35-40deg. Any ideas?

870supermagnum

There is a good thread on here about this very topic, temperture and pattern density started by deerbasshunter3. It's worth reading. Also, the new shells will not perform like the old Supreme Elite HD's. I and many others wish Winchester still make those shells.  :'(

SumToy

That is odd.  Now with the 665 you may want to drop to the 6's.  I know we run 675 and they do real good with the 5's
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SumToy on February 26, 2015, 07:48:55 AM
That is odd.  Now with the 665 you may want to drop to the 6's.  I know we run 675 and they do real good with the 5's
Agreed.  But if you're determined to stay with the 5's I'd try a .675 -.680 choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Leebob on February 26, 2015, 07:31:13 AM
I'm shooting a Super X2, 26" barrel, with a .665 Indian Creek. I bought some LB 3.5" #5 after running out of my favorite supreme elite HD #6's. First shot with the new LB's was 8" low and best pattern was 135 in 10" @ 40yds. After buying a tru-glow sight and adjusting it way up, it now hits POA, but the last few shots were in the 110 range. Gun was clean when I started and temp was 35-40deg. Any ideas?

More than likely, the cold, dense air is affecting your patterns. As long as your patterns do not have large gaps, they are probably just fine. The numbers will go up as the temperature rises.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Leebob

Here is my first shot, which was the best pattern at 135. I would think this combo should be 150+ even in the cold.

darn2ten

That is pretty odd for that combo. Temp is pretty low and I'm sure affected your numbers, but still think they should be better. I'll post some pics of my 26" Invector Plus A5 with a .665 IC and LB's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darn2ten

That same combo will do around 225-230 with 3" #6 LB's. My gun will not shoot 3.5" shells, just a thought, but you might want to try 3". My barrel is also polished and deep cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

I really think you need to open it up to a .675 like has already been mentioned....
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Leebob

I am going to pick up some #6s to try. Now I have to decide between 3" or 3.5"??

Leebob

Well I bought a box of 3" LB #6 and gave them a try through a clean barrel. Only 160.