OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope or No Scope?

Started by GED6531, February 25, 2015, 09:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GED6531

Guys I'm thinking about getting a scope put on my mossberg 835. I want to see what everyone's opinion is on having/not having a scope. If you like a scope on your turkey gun, say why and vice versa. Looking for pros and cons of both, and also if you use a scope please specify what you have and recommend.

Thanks for the help and input.

Eview326

I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I've got a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell banner I want to put on my 835, just need base and rings for it. But I also have a set of basic Tru glo sights on it right now. I'm just thjnkjng the scope might be a better idea

IowaGobblers

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Ended up buying a bushnell 1.5-4 and put it on my 835 but haven't shot it yet. Love the way it looks though.

beagler

I have an Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope on my 835, love it.
Never Misses

K9Doc

Serious recoil on the 835.
Be ready for possible scope eye.
I have done it twice with my SBE2

Both times shooting off my belly.
You may want to consider a FastFire3
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

IowaGobblers

Quote from: K9Doc on February 25, 2015, 09:48:22 PM

That Bushnell banner has 6+ inches of eye relief plus I have a knoxx stock so I can really keep my head pretty far back,  not too concerned about scope eye.

daymude7288

I used a scope on my 870 for about 5 years.  I loved it until I had a bird come in of to my right and had to twist my body and really couldnt get my head down on the gun.  When I let it eat everything went BLACK!!  It didn't knock me out but it did have me messed up for about 10 minutes.  I killed the bird so it was worth it. But i took it off this year and got a red dot.  Excited to see how it goes.

strut2

I personally prefer a two bead set up. I've tried a scope and it's great if you have a bird coming down your gun barrel or if you don't have to get on a bird quick. However when you need to get on a bird quick it could take costly time to find the bird in the scope. I tend to run and gun and I am alway banging my gun off something in the woods. I would always be wondering in the back off my mind if my scope was on point. With a red dot I would always be wondering if my battery is going to go dead. I am the type of person that if it can happen it probably will so I keep it simple. It works for me!Just my personal opinion. I know plenty of guys that have scopes and like them. I know a few that tried it and didn't like it too.

jakesdad

Factory or hi-viz bead only for me,and for some reason relying on something powered off batteries scares me.I'm not sure how I feel about having a scope on a shotgu njust doesnt feel right to me.Not against it in any sort of way,just like the way a gun looks with beads. I have considered some sort of tru-glo/red-dot sight but my eyes seem to handle the bead fine.I do like the tru-glo on my boys mossberg 510 tho.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

WildTigerTrout

I have one scope and three red dots. I prefer the red dot sights myself.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

eddie234

Depends, thick hardwoods I take the one with sights, a little more open terrain I take the scoped one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

K9Doc

Quote from: IowaGobblers on February 26, 2015, 09:47:19 AM
Quote from: K9Doc on February 25, 2015, 09:48:22 PM

That Bushnell banner has 6+ inches of eye relief plus I have a knoxx stock so I can really keep my head pretty far back,  not too concerned about scope eye.

Scope her then for sure!!!!
You will love it!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

USMC0331

If you plan to use the scope on the Knoxx stock, make sure you mount it as far forward as you can.  As the upper receiver travels up the ramp of stock during recoil, if it's not far enough forward you will be hit with authority. I have informed others in the past and they assumed I was pulling their leg until the blood started flowing. Scope is good for open fields, close work can get a little tricky, red dot or bead/fiber optic sight is best overall.

chatterbox

I have hunted with every imaginable combo out there!
Open sights are good, but my vision gets blurred trying to pick up front, rear, and turkey.
Scopes are good, but limit you in the woods I feel with a narrow field of view.
I have shot every imaginable red dot out there, and finally settled on a Burris Fast Fire 3 with a 336 base. This combo keeps my head tight to the gun, they are waterproof, and tough as a tank. In my opinion, they are the best optic for the turkey hunter out there!
If you go this route, I am sure you will be pleased!

RussM311

I have  the 835 and love it. Have tried the lighted sights...  terrible disappointment the first time I was in bright sunlight. Went to tru glo rifled sights... that works great. But just installed a pistol grip with adjustable stock...ut oh...the straight stock won't let me get my eye lined up with the sights. So...after a quick trip to Basspro, I have installed a 1.5 - 4.5X scope.... Will head to the range as soon as weather permits.  Think I am going to like it.