OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Arrowheads

Started by Xtrema30, February 25, 2015, 08:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtrema30

Who here looks for them when you get some time or does it for a hobby? I know i try to when i get a lil time.

jblackburn

I enjoy looking for them in creeks whenever I get back home to central Missouri.  I don't have many, I guess I'm not good at it!  :funnyturkey:  But, I did find this last summer to get my blood pumping, definitely my best point.

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

born2hunt

Arrow heads intrigue me like nothing else.  I really enjoy looking for them but have never found a nice one,  just tips and halves.  There's just something about holding a head that may have been  lost while hunting the same thing I am, except hundreds of years earlier. Just cool to me.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

jblackburn

Quote from: born2hunt on February 25, 2015, 10:52:37 PM
Arrow heads intrigue me like nothing else.  I really enjoy looking for them but have never found a nice one,  just tips and halves.  There's just something about holding a head that may have been  lost while hunting the same thing I am, except hundreds of years earlier. Just cool to me.

Exactly!  That point in the picture got me more hooked to the point that I have bought the Overstreet guide.  What is crazy is that point, a Hardin Barbed, is it is projected to have made about 7,000 or so years ago!!  Blows my mind that they could take a piece of chert rock and make something so useful and beautiful and the fact that it is not broke after all that time. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Xtrema30

thats a freakin smoker there lol id be pumped to have found that dude

SinGin

Just think, that head was probably lost thousands of years be for Jesus Christ walked the earth. That is a very nice one indeed.

mgm1955

That's a fantastic find!! The history is mind blowing!!

Cut N Run

I've been hunting arrowheads and spear points since the late 1970s.  I don't have pictures of all my finds, though I'll post a few.  The oldest point I have is a Clovis from around 11,000 B.C. and the most recent are from post-contact with Europeans ~1740.  Besides stone points, I've found stone axes, celts,  pieces of soapstone bowls, scrapers, hammer stones, and shards of clay pots.

In the early 1990s a lot of my arrowhead hunting fields got turned into subdivisions and strip malls, so I learned how to make stone arrowheads and spear points myself.  If you're interested in learning how to flinkknap, PM me and I can point you towards some good sources of tools and material.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Cut N Run

Here's some points I made.

Most of the fluted points in the case on the bottom right were made by a friend of mine. The obsidian blade between the frames is 9 inches long for a size comparison. 
The small hornestone point on the red rock is just under an inch wide and 2.125 inches long.

Jim

cutt down

Here's one I found. Haven't researched it yet. Maybe one of you experts can tell me about it.

Cut N Run

Just guessing, your point may be what's called an Adena.  Which sub-type, I don't know.  We don't have that exact point tradition in this part of the country. 

Here is a point I.D. page I sometimes use. http://projectilepoints.net/    Thanks for sharing your sweet find.

Jim

M Sharpe

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 26, 2015, 01:04:40 AM
Here's some points I made.

Most of the fluted points in the case on the bottom right were made by a friend of mine. The obsidian blade between the frames is 9 inches long for a size comparison. 
The small hornestone point on the red rock is just under an inch wide and 2.125 inches long.

Jim

I wonder how old carbon dating would say those points are?? I could see where it might tell you how old the substance is, but how do they figure out when they were made??
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Cut N Run

Carbon dating could give an approximate age on the rock itself, but I'm not sure it could tell when it was chipped to that shape.

The majority of the time, almost any point can be identified as to what tradition it belongs to by the base of the point.

Archaeologists have done extensive excavations on known ancient camp sites and they can give an accurate age of point types based on what level of undisturbed soil they occur in.  If charcoal from a fire pit exists in association with the point, it can be more accurately carbon dated than the rock itself, proving the point's age. 

For my region (central North Carolina) there's a really good book that proves accurate dating of spear point and arrowheads called The Formative Cultures of the Carolina Piedmont by Joffrey L. Coe.  The book is actually Coe's doctor's thesis and a result of his extensive research to projectile point chronology.

Jim

Cut N Run

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Ancient points are pretty easy to tell from modern ones.  Ancient points are oxidized from being in that shape and exposed to the elements for centuries, where modern points are colored like the original rock and have sharper edges.  I always put my initials on my points with a diamond scribe so they can't be confused with ancient ones.

Jim

cutt down

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 26, 2015, 07:59:27 AM
Just guessing, your point may be what's called an Adena.  Which sub-type, I don't know.  We don't have that exact point tradition in this part of the country. 

Here is a point I.D. page I sometimes use. http://projectilepoints.net/    Thanks for sharing your sweet find.

Jim

thanks man.....very interesting reading