turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting out of a blind.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 25, 2015, 04:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

For those of you who hunt out of a blind, be it a rainy day or not, do you find that the turkey need time to get used to it like deer do, or do you just throw it up and hunt?

porcupine

throw it up and go...I've even set up in the middle of a field...no brushing and a bird got a ride in the back of the truck that day

Neill_Prater

Supposedly, turkeys don't notice blinds like deer do. I say "supposedly" because like anything else, I think there are exceptions. A few years ago while hunting in Alabama, I set up on a food plot that I knew was being frequented by a gobbler. Maybe an hour or so after getting into the blind, I saw the bird perhaps 150 yards away, coming down a logging road. I didn't call, had the mesh over the windows, just sat there and waited, because I expected him to walk right by me.

At about 75 yards, he stopped, and appeared to be eyeballing the blind. He stood there probably a full minute, turned around, and slowly walked back down the road. Now, I can't say for sure the bird spooked at the blind, but I am pretty well convinced he did. My guess is that he had been shot at from a blind in the past, and was smart enough to learn from it.

mgm1955

Quote from: porcupine on February 25, 2015, 04:43:32 PM
throw it up and go...I've even set up in the middle of a field...no brushing and a bird got a ride in the back of the truck that day
Never had a problem.

tomstopper

I usually never hunt out of a blind (and no I don't care if people do...lol) but IMO you can place them anywhere and just hunt. With turkeys, its movement that get to them the most so you should be fine.

fallhnt

I bowhunt public land and can tell you for a fact that turkeys will become blind shy.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

outdoors

IT'S SO O O. THICK WHERE I HUNT I USE A NATURAL BLIND AND HAD NO PROBLEM.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

stinkpickle

You can plop that sucker down right in the middle of an open field, and turkeys will stroll by it like it's just an old hay bale.

dfresh55

never hada problem with the blind before set that joker up and wait comfy style