turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblers on the roost.

Started by Thunderchicken14, February 24, 2015, 09:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderchicken14

How do you guys handle calling to birds while still on the roost?. I have read where guys swear not to do it, says" it keeps the birds in the tree to long". Personally, I have had luck giving them just a little and letting them know there is a hen in the area. Just curious what you guys do.
Proud member of the "Tenth Legion"

Gobble!

Soft tree helps to tell him in there maybe some clucks and purrs then if it's getting late and he has not flew down I do a fly down cackle.

Thunderchicken14

I have had luck with this as well. I thought this would be an interesting topic to see what all the pro's on here do.
Proud member of the "Tenth Legion"

dejake

I yelp.  If he answers, i shut up, regardless of how many times he gobbles after that.  That usually gets him down and looking.  The exception is if i hear other hens.  in that case, i'll keep it up.  I think it's easier to call him away from other hens while he's in the tree, as opposed to on the ground.

Jay Longhauser

What I tell myself to do if I don't hear any hens, is make him gobble at me once then stop. It's always harder to do than it should be.  If im set up so he can't see right to the spot I'm at I'll call a little more. If hens are with him and noisy I call more. That's my general idea but have to expect one day is different from the last and adjust to what's going on while I'm there

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Gobble! on February 24, 2015, 09:20:11 AM
Soft tree helps to tell him in there maybe some clucks and purrs then if it's getting late and he has not flew down I do a fly down cackle.

+1
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

strut2

Couple tree yelps to let him know I'm there and that is it. With that being said one of my good hunting buddies calls an awful a lot in my opinion while the gobbler is on the roost and takes birds all the time. I had a bad experience with calling too much and the gobbler wouldn't fly down. From that point forward, I play it "safe" and just some tree yelps. Once I know he pitched down off the limb let the calling begin.

wvlimbhanger

I'm like the guys above, if it is quiet and no hens around I want to get a response to some tree yelps and do nothing until I know he is on the ground.  If hens are nearby I mock them and try to get them to investigate the new mouthy hen in town.

g8rvet

Depends a little where I am hunting too.  I will call to the hens more on public land, but where I hunt on private, I treat them like I do the gobbler, just let them know where I am and keep the calls soft. If I have a kid with me, I may overcall just a bit to let them hear the gobbles, but only on private.  Too much gobbling on public brings hunters too. I know I tend to want to overcall, so whatever feels right, I do even less. I called a hen up to me with my mouth on the last day of duck season this year.   

I was in a gobbler's pocket last year and he flew away from me. I circled him and got in front of where I thought he was headed and sure enough he started coming in.  Behind me, I hear foot steps on the downside of the little ridge I was sitting on.  Three hens passed by me at about 10 yards and went straight to him.  Once they reached him (about 75-100 yards away), he never said another word.  An accomplished hunter told me once I knew they were there I might could have scattered them.  Never even occurred to me. I won't get another chance with him though. My brother killed him a couple weeks later. he made us mad several days, but his luck ran out.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: dejake on February 24, 2015, 09:34:51 AM
I yelp.  If he answers, i shut up, regardless of how many times he gobbles after that.  That usually gets him down and looking.  The exception is if i hear other hens.  in that case, i'll keep it up.  I think it's easier to call him away from other hens while he's in the tree, as opposed to on the ground.

I am pretty similar..  Maybe a tree yelp and shut up...

If I hear a hen, or hens, I might do some aggressive calling...  I have had some luck calling in angry territorial hens with toms in tow...  Never had any luck calling a tom off of hens though; I think they generally know right where those hens will hit the ground on a daily basis.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jwhunter

howl

I get disappointed in myself if I call before flydown. I will often try to will a bird to shut up if he's burning it up on the roost. Why would I want him to call up hens or other hunters? I like a bird to gobble three times. Once to let me know where his tree is, once to let me know he's about to fly down and one to count as his last before he comes in. I could do without the last one.

Matt.Wilson

tree yelps, fly down with wing (x2 sometimes) and scratch in leaves.  Maybe pur, but if he answers, shut up, uness he has hens with him after flydown

Xtrema30

I know I've hardly had that text book hunt were u sit down to him, give him a few calls and pitches down and comes straight to me. Ive had them make circles behind me, etc but i do believe i will get as close as i can to the roost sit down and not make a move till he does

tomstopper

Quote from: Gobble! on February 24, 2015, 09:20:11 AM
:agreed: Pretty good advice that I use as well