OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

filming a solo hunt

Started by VT_hunter, February 23, 2015, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_hunter

Hi all. I'm looking to film my own hunt and am wondering what other people do and use. I'm not looking to use a Go Pro as I don't like not having a zoom. A turkey at 20 yards seems to look like it's a mile away. I have a small camcorder that I would like to use but haven't seem any good shotgun mounts (I hunt with a mossberg 535). didn't know if folks had  good light weight tripods and what they do for camo on the tripods, I'm a run and gunner. Would love to hear any suggestions and tips. Thanks in advance

RutnNStrutn

I too use just a small camcorder and a tripod. I just spray painted my tripod. It's not perfect, and needs touching up, but haven't spooked any birds yet. It's a pain to do by yourself though, because you don't want to move to turn the camcorder on and aim it. Much easier with someone else filming.
I also have a gun mounted video cam with a 4X zoom on it. But the record button also requires movement, so I haven't gotten to film a harvest with it yet. I've had several opportunities, but didn't have the cam on my gun. ::) One of these days I'll get it together.

Wildfowler

What rutnstrut said, I have a handheld sony with a small tripod and tried to do it by myself last season.  Its tuff by yourself,first time I tried I set it up and called a bird in from around 200 yards away, you can hear him gobble every time and he came in perfect. So I said to myself I'll let him walk into frame then take him.  Well the bird struts into frame at 25yrds and pauses, But instead of looking at the bird Im looking at the camera, pick my head up to shoot and hes took a few steps into some cover, try to ease the camera to the right some and cant find him, well he hooked a left and next time I could see him he was out of range. It was still fun but the next hunt I left the camera at home! A decoy would have helped tremendously but didnt have one out. Im gonna give it another shot this year. Best of luck to you!

RutnNStrutn

Good point about the deke. I usually film over a strutter in early season. Normally the gobbler will commit hard to the deke, and that adds the distraction needed to track him.

bamagtrdude

This year, I'll be using my home-brew "camo cap cam" get-up -- I cut a hole in the bill of my hat, and am mounting a Kodak PlaySport ($100 on eBay) to it.  See attached pic & watch these videos for an idea of the film quality.

- Video 1: http://youtu.be/pSXnVoy4cbc
- Video 2: http://youtu.be/YleUrcUKU14
- Bow hunting video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=673838142735398&l=8881543022678244893
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

ericjames

That video 2 was pretty good. I've had a play sport for several years. They are tough as nails.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: ericjames on February 24, 2015, 12:01:14 PM
That video 2 was pretty good. I've had a play sport for several years. They are tough as nails.

Hehehe, ya; they're good little cams to take out to the woods, for sure!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

zelmo1

wvboy

Much easier out of a Pop up blind or at least a stake blind.. I have only self filmed one hunt off the ground with no blind but plenty out of a pop up and a few behind a stake blind.. you can do it off the ground with no blind with two people, but really hard to self film.. kudos to those that can get it done.. there is a guy on here that self films every year on public land in TN and I don't think he uses any blind and he gets OK footage and post it each year.. (I can't recall his screen name right now) but hats off to him..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads