OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Options other than drill and tap

Started by turkey buster, February 23, 2015, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

I'd like to try red dots or other optics on my rigs, but without drilling into them to tap them. I also do not want a saddle mount since they dont make them in the same camo as my guns. Are there any red dot/holo sights that mount to the ribs of guns like the tru glo mag gobble dot rifled sight? What are some other options?

remmy1187

B-Square makes a mount that attaches to the vent rib, its called B-Square shotgun universal cantilever mount.  Might work for ya

turkey buster

Opinions on how that would hold up to the recoil of turkey loads...with the area that holds optics so far from the area that's actually mounted would there be some "play" in it? And would that much spacing possibly cause damage to the rib and cause it to break off?

beagler

Never Misses

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkey buster on February 23, 2015, 08:24:23 PM
I'd like to try red dots or other optics on my rigs, but without drilling into them to tap them. I also do not want a saddle mount since they dont make them in the same camo as my guns. Are there any red dot/holo sights that mount to the ribs of guns like the tru glo mag gobble dot rifled sight? What are some other options?
Truglo makes a 30mm "Dual-Color" (red & green dots) one piece unit sight that fits the 12 gauge Remington 870, 1100 & 11-87 shotguns. It comes in both black and Breakup Infinity camo. It's the TG8030DBR (Black) or TG8030CR (Camo)

I've never been a fan of saddle mounts but this one seems to work well and has a number of fans.

I have seen those rib mounts work with pistol scopes but only in competition. They always look top-heavy to me and I'm not sure about the stress that any scope would put on the rib, especially in a hunting environment. I know they can pretty easily put some good dents in ribs if too much torque is applied.

Drilling and tapping is normally the best option. It's relatively inexpensive, done properly will not damage your gun and is the most solid way to mount any type of receiver based sight, at least in my experience.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."