OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bitten

Started by antnye, February 23, 2015, 09:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antnye

I've been bitten by the call making bug. I've built a few guitars and have worked on them my whole life. Just never had a desire to build turkey calls. Although I thoroughly enjoy shooting them in the face.  ;D  A buddy of mine started turning pots a few months ago. He invited me up to make a striker on his lathe. That got the wheels turning. I got to thinking I'd like to build trumpets.

After a little R&D I made the first on my drill press. With a makeshift rest and live center. It worked pretty well but I ordered a lathe. After turning about a dozen calls, playing with the internals and mouthpiece lengths I found a taper that'll talk.

The call in the middle is my first. The one on the right is the one I hit my specs on. The call on the left I turned yesterday. Its Brazilian rosewood. The first call I've made out of nice wood. I was very nervous turning it but it turned nicely. I had a small stick and was able to get 4 peices big enough to turn. I split the first one driving in the spur center   >:(. I've got more wood coming. Can't wait to turn some more!

merocustomcalls

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Crawdad

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 23, 2015, 11:50:12 AM
Looks like you're off to a great start!
Yes I believe you are, lot's better than I did at the start.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mgm1955

Really nice! Good luck!!

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?

M Sharpe

Looks like you're on your way.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

silverspur

They look great and good luck with them! :icon_thumright:
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Gawhitaker

Yes Sir, those look real nice

gatrkyhntr70

very nice,love the sleek look of the one on the left!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Snoodsniper

I like the one on the left as well. Good job!

jmck

fine looking work , and yes, looks like ya have been Bitten by the bug. Y a will meet a lot of great guys that shre in the passion of making calls,,,,welcome to your new illness and cant wait to see your progression

worth612000

great looking calls!

jbrown

Lookin good, rosewood trumpets are hard to beat!

Dr Juice

I never used a trumpet. Perhaps someday I will give it a shot.