OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard pattern/gun question

Started by turkey buster, February 21, 2015, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

I've been on here and asked the same thing before but since making the switch from 3.5in #6 to 3in #5 shells my confidence is lacking on my patterns.

With a Remington 11-87 3in, 25in barrel, jellyhead maximum .660, and longbeard shells
Shooting 3in #5's out of my set up I'm getting 135-145 consistent in the 10 at a lazered 41. I do 41 to know its at least 40.

At around 20 yards it's a tight pattern but not where you would miss.

turkey buster

Ihuntoldschool

If I were you, I would switch back to that 3.5 inch #6 Longbeard. Looks like to me you are giving up a lot of pattern density there with those 5's.

Ihuntoldschool

Turkey buster, I overlooked the 3inch part, have you tried 3 inch 6's?

turkey buster

I have 7 full boxes of the 5's so I haven't bought anything else to try. I might just do that

snapper1982

I don't see a problem at all. You are over 100/10 at 40. That will do the trick every time without any worries.

turkey buster

Snapper I know the 100/10 rule and I'm happy with that but to see 230-240 and then see 130-140 is just a mental thing. It takes what 4-5 shots in the vitals to kill one?

turkey buster

Would I benifit going to a .655 choke

Tom Foolery

turkey buster

No I haven't because I have 7 boxes of the 3in 5's and want to shoot them

Tom Foolery

Did you buy 7 boxes of them without trying a few #5's first?   If you were shooting 3.5" #6's I would have looked at 3" #6's before #5's.

Either way your #5 pattern is going to knock ones willy in his watch pocket @ 40yds.

turkey buster

I wanted the heavier shot of the 5's and less recoil than 3.5's. I know the numbers are fine but I feel like I could get 170's with the right choke. Maybe?

Longshanks

The 3" LB 5's I have shot out of a number of set ups have given me a similar problem. Lack of confidence in them due to golf ball/ 2 golf ball size gaps all over the pattern at 40. Even shooting 160's in a 10 @ 40. Mis-shaped patterns/ inconsistent patterns made me stick with the LB 6's. I can turn consistent patterns at 20,30,40 that are round and have no golf ball sizes wholes in the pattern. (214 in a 10 @ 40)

I have two boxes of LB 3" 5's I will sell you guys if y'all are shooting the 5's.

Tom Foolery

My 870 averaged 152, I think, with 3" #5's and 184 with 3" #6's, I bought 5 boxes of 6's.  If I ever run out of hevi13 #7's I'll use those.

I've seen some good #5 patterns, mine just wouldn't do it.  The 5 patterns were splotchy and open in spots while the 6's were very even through the 20" circle. 

Long beard XR 3" #6 - Kicks .660

184 - 10"
169 - 20"

Total in a 20" circle - 353

turkey buster

Thinking I shoudlve went with 6's :/ I don't get huge gaps in the pattern but up close it is Oblonged looking which is why at 40 I guess the numbers are lower than I want. I'm gonna try a .665 choke and see what happens. Too many 5's in the cabinet to quit on them.