turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite Turkey book?

Started by Thunderchicken14, February 20, 2015, 07:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Treble

Been looking to get the "Tenth Legion" but daannnggg, I don't think I can splurge that much .

Gumby

Quote from: Big Treble on February 20, 2015, 05:43:12 PM
Been looking to get the "Tenth Legion" but daannnggg, I don't think I can splurge that much .

Check amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuackSmack87

There is a white edition you can get for $30 if I remember correctly.  I'm glad someone started this thread.  I am on my 3rd Tom Kelly book and have found that I really like to read about turkey hunting.  I am going to have to pick up some of the ones you guys are mentioning.  It's a toss up so far for me between Tenth Legion and Better on a rising tide.

Big Treble

Quote from: QuackSmack87 on February 20, 2015, 06:47:44 PM

There is a white edition you can get for $30 if I remember correctly.  I'm glad someone started this thread.  I am on my 3rd Tom Kelly book and have found that I really like to read about turkey hunting.  I am going to have to pick up some of the ones you guys are mentioning.  It's a toss up so far for me between Tenth Legion and Better on a rising tide.

Just found the audio version. Which will work out well for my travels.  Thanks.

hobbes

Which book did you find audio version of?

firedup

QuoteThe Old Pro Turkey Hunter is in a league of its own. Beyond that A One Man Game by Kenny Morgan is high on my list along with both Double Gobble and Turkey Roost Tales by Bobby Dale.

I agree with the above. All these are very good.  The Tenth Legion is just a must read requirement for anyone who likes turkey hunting and a good book. Another in this same theme is "Home at Last is the Hunter" by Chip Gross.  Not as well known but a very good book. For the southern boys who hunt Florida and the real south, south....Philips The Grand Obsession is a good read and shows what turkey hunting in the old days was like down there. 

Bennett

Tenth Legion
Kenny Morgan
all other Kelly books
the Old Pro
Turkey Hunting Spring and Fall
The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee
Native Turkeys
The Grand Obsession
Turkey Tails and Tales
Remembering the Greats
No particular order after the first 2

Big Treble

srmturk

Had never heard of Old Pro so just looked it up. It's now a rare book and the prices show it. Ouch!

greencop01

I would have to say after Ken Morgan's "America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs" it would be Lovett Williams " Wild Turkey Hunting and Management" he wrote it with the hunter in mind, it is a treasure trove of info and tips, he was a real turkey man like Ken Morgan.    :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

zeke632

The Old Pro Turkey Hunter is my favorite by far.

Its pure old school turkey advise written through a lot of great stories.  There are pages about to come out of mine, I'll either read it all every year or at least re-read my favorite chapters. I think Igot it in the late 70's

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

BowBendr

Quote from: Ruger M77 on February 21, 2015, 04:22:39 PM
Quote from: drum817 on February 21, 2015, 03:19:41 PM
Anything written by Ray Eye!!!
x2

Agreed.
I have read the Turkey Hunters Bible over and over about 5 times since Thanksgiving.

Izzyjoe

I just recently listened to the Tenth Legion on disc, Tom's a great writer, and listening to it reminds me of camp fires, and fine whiskey! I've also read several of Ray Eye's books from the library, good reading as well!