OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom Slate or a great slate and striker in the $40-$60 range

Started by TeamCF, February 19, 2015, 09:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamCF

I have the freak crystal from 2007 and I really like the call its produced a lot of birds for me. I am looking to add a slate call to have both options. I normally like the glass or crystal calls because it is often wet where I hunt.

What is a good brand of custom call? If anyone is a call maker how tough is it to make on your own? I enjoy making my own stuff to hunt with etc.

chuckward

You won't be able to get a call from quite a few people this time of year. Lonzo's Birdseye maple slate, Lonnie Sneeds Hot Hen or anything from David Halloran would get you going before the season. You can't go wrong with those three.  Chuck

drum817

SS Custom game over series!!!  Peruvian walnut..... Sound amazing!!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

scoot12

Sneed Hot Hen,  Paul Platz cherry or Dustin Jones walnut with maple laminates.  Scoot

worth612000

Midwestturkeycall.com or the classified section on here is going to be your fastest means of getting a custom call this close to the season. Forgot to mention Wendell at Lights out Custom Calls, He would fix you up fast, awesome sounding calls starting @ $40 or $45. I think he makes some of the best strikers I have used. Maybe some other call makers will chime in that can fix you up fast. Good luck this season.

MikeStaten

REBELYELL

Tom Dooley

I have 3 slates and one the way. I would recommend the 3 that I have. They are Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen(proven turkey killer), Houndstooth, and Lonzo's. The houndstooth and Lonzo are new and have not been in the woods yet but they both sound great. I have a Paul Platz cherry slate on the way. I played it at the convention and to my ears have heard none better.

MG150

A lot of great callmakers mentioned,I'm going to add Glen Marrer to the list.Custom pot,hand turned striker and call bag well with in that price.Glen's finish on pots are second to none

TauntoHawk

What's Paul platz wait times like lots of talk about his cherry slate and just took 3rd I believe at grand nationals
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GED6531

David halloran strikers are really good. I like the diamonds wood and ipe wood ones myself. Woodhaven also had some great sounding custom strikers, but they might be out

PALongspur

I got on Paul's list at the beginning of the week and he told me it would probably be early June.

VA_Birdhunter

SS Custom Calls!!!  Al and Josh new Game Over series is awesome!!!

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

scoot12

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 21, 2015, 08:49:31 PM
What's Paul platz wait times like lots of talk about his cherry slate and just took 3rd I believe at grand nationals
Pm sent

M,Yingling

Lots good makers out their in that range depends on how u want your slate to sound ,,,
If u want a slate that sounds like a glass or crystal call  theirs lots out their that make them that way
If you want a slate that has some nice deeper tones runs soft theirs still a few that make them like that ,,,look around call some makers have them run some calls for u
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey