Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best shells for 935 with a .675 indian creek?

Started by Easttnhunter01, February 19, 2015, 05:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easttnhunter01

I got a IC choke for my 935 last year, I've tried mag blends and the long beard xr #5 in it. I haven't shot any other shell in it.. For those of u who have a 835 or 935 with this choke what patterns best for you? Any advice will be greatly appricated, Thanks

bbcoach

Hevi-13 7's put up GREAT numbers along with Hevi 6's.  Longbeard 6's shoot well also.

drum817

I use to run an ic in my 835 before I switched to SumToy.  I believe you'd do well with hevi 7's or the longbeard 6's.... Best of luck to ya!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

dirt road ninja

Easttnhunter01

Thanks for the replies, I've never shot 7's at all I've shot about ever other shot size and shell but not with this gun an choke.. How do the 7s do at longer ranges as far as knock down goes?

LARRYHAYNES

LARRY

bbcoach

Hevi 7's are BAD news.  I killed a bird in South Dakota last spring, at a lasered 38 yards, and the bird never moved after I pulled the trigger.  They put up GREAT numbers at 40.

dirt road ninja

I believe that they will hold energy to 61 yards.

Easttnhunter01

Did Winchester stop making the extended range when they came out with the long beard xr?

I may have to order up some hevi 7s and give them a try, I've always been afraid of the lack of energy with 7s but I guess that's not a problem

BandedSpur

For comparison's sake, at 40 yds lead 6s at 1200 fps will penetrate 1.61" in ballistic gel, vs 1.58" for Hevi 7s at the same velocity, so they are virtually identical. Both have more than ample pellet energy and penetration at 40 yds. Not supposed to discuss beyond 40 yds on this site, but suffice it to say, the Hevi 7s will shed velocity less as range increases compared to the lead 6s.

Skeeterbait

Winchester XR has been discontinued.  It is a shame too because it was a great shell.  Nearly the pellet counts of the Hevi-16 loads with greater velocity.  I shot the same setup you have, gun and choke for many years till I switched to a 935 with same choke.  With XR 3.5" #6 the 835 has done 225 in 10" at 40 yards and the 935 has done 236.  I have 10 boxes of the Win XR 3.5" #6 and hope it will last me a long time.

The Hevi-13 in your setup I have seen posted numbers in the 240's with 2 1/4 oz loads of #6 and above 300 with Hevi-13 straight 7's.

Easttnhunter01

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 20, 2015, 08:54:15 AM
For comparison's sake, at 40 yds lead 6s at 1200 fps will penetrate 1.61" in ballistic gel, vs 1.58" for Hevi 7s at the same velocity, so they are virtually identical. Both have more than ample pellet energy and penetration at 40 yds. Not supposed to discuss beyond 40 yds on this site, but suffice it to say, the Hevi 7s will shed velocity less as range increases compared to the lead 6s.

Thanks for that comparison, there's really no difference at all in those numbers. I'm sure the pellet count would be alot higher with the hevi 7s vs a lead 6 also

Easttnhunter01

I've got some cardboard here some where tht I shot last year with mag blends and lbxr #5 ill see what the count was in a 10" circle if I can find them

Easttnhunter01

I found 2 targets I shot last year and at 40 yds with mag blends I got 190 in a 10" circle and 198 with the long beard xr.  I'm not really impressed with the mag blends. Should my gun have better numbers with them or is that the norm?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Easttnhunter01 on February 19, 2015, 05:10:02 PM
I got a IC choke for my 935 last year, I've tried mag blends and the long beard xr #5 in it. I haven't shot any other shell in it.. For those of u who have a 835 or 935 with this choke what patterns best for you? Any advice will be greatly appricated, Thanks

I have both the 835 and 935 as well as the SSi-ONE that has the same .775 bore barrel. I'd recommend the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot or the 3" WLB with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot.

You may want to check out the next issue of "Turkey Country" magazine. One of the 6 guns used in my evaluation of 32 different chokes was the 835.

You'll be able to see targets, a chart of pattern quality and read the article that tells the procedure I used for the evaluation. It should be out later this month.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."