turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wanting a trumpet call

Started by Thunderchicken14, February 19, 2015, 12:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderchicken14

I am really wanting to get me a trumpet but I am a little hesitant on the learning curve. Any help on what to buy and best way to get good with one??
Proud member of the "Tenth Legion"

Spur806

The guys on here that make them are very helpful, as far as the learning curve, practice practice practice, I make trumpets, if your interested pm me we can talk more, that being said, there are a lot of good choices out here, look through some of the posts on here and the trumpet makers, and ask away with any questions you may have, everyone I ever talked to was more than helpful

VanHelden Game Calls

If you are wanting to try the concept here is something you can do.

Get a 20ga shell, 12ga will work but a little large. remove "SPENT" primer ;)
Then get a regular straw and a mixing straw.  Cut each to aprox 3" long and assemble the straws with the large straw being inserted through the primer hole.

Now you have a suction yelper "trumpet".  This was a big hit at a function last year.

West Augusta

With trumpets,  it's hard to say which will be easy for you to run.  Some run easy for some people and harder for others.  All the trumpet makers here make a good quality trumpet. They are well worth the effort to learn to play.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hunter22

Thought I would show the last trumpet I got and give a shout out to Dave Hodgkins, Blackfalcon on here. This one is  Desert Ironwood with a horn mp. Plays real easy, not hard on the eyes, and very reasonably priced. Hard to beat that combo.

Thunderchicken14

That is really nice. Looks like something I may be interested in.
Proud member of the "Tenth Legion"

savduck

Dave is a great guy and makes a great trumpet at a very good price.
Georgia Boy

M Sharpe

Right now, I would suggest Matt McClain or MacDaddy.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

mgm1955

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 19, 2015, 07:41:48 PM
Right now, I would suggest Matt McClain or MacDaddy.
Just got trumpets from both of these makers at Nashville. Great looking, easy to play, and won't break the bank. Have several of Black Falcon's as well and the same applies to them.

KPcalls

If you, like most have the sounds of the wild turkey etched in your brain you shouldn't have that hard of a time learning to call with persistance and determination. You've been given some good call maker options and there are several more out there. Trumpets are a great tool..Good luck with your decision.

savduck

Two of the above fellas suggesting other call makers make a hell of a yelper. Both are in my collection

Mr KPcalls ( Kenny) and Mr. Msharpe ( mark)
Georgia Boy

nitro

All the above. Include John Dangerfield II and Mr. Billy Buice for sure to any list of prospective calls to consider.
Royal Slam 2008

West Augusta

As for the learning curve?  Watch Savduck's youtube videos. 
Then look up Ralph Permar and Marlin Watkin's videos. 
All three have great instructional videos.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gumby

pappy

It really does not matter the maker, what matters is your commitment to practicing the call. I say this because I do not know of any of the makers here on OG that make lousy calls, I have many from others and they all play good, the costs varies, the quality is there though. If you want to start on top, spend big if you are wanting to learn before you dig out your jars in the back yard, then find a good quality maker that is reasonably priced, I remember giving away many a trumpet to newbies, just don't see much of this any more, maybe the dollar has clouded the true reason behind being a call maker?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206