OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bead sight

Started by ep427, February 19, 2015, 11:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ep427

Does anyone still hunt with bead sights? Every body I talk to uses sights, or scopes.

The Cohutta Strutter

Im sure there are still plenty of folks still hunting the bead. Nothing at all wrong with it. I hunted an 870 for years that was dead on with factory bead. Some will argue that the bead gets mighty big on a bird at further distances and it does but it never was issue for me with that particular gun.I've since changed to a lighter weight gun with poa/poi issues so went with adjustable sights on it. Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

reynolds243

i still use one on my 20 Gauge.  Use a FF3 on the 12 but wanted to keep the 20 light and make it to where i didn't have to remove anything for dove season.

strut2

I still use a bead. I have tried sights and did not care for them because all I ever used was a bead so it was natural. With turkey hunting rarely does a turkey come right down your gun barrel and with a two bead set up I can quickly get on it if I need to. I tried a red dot and had the same issue. I don't feel comfortable relying on batteries and/or worrying about bumping the scope. Just more comfortable with a two bead setup. Its all in what you with comfortable and confident with.

Ross R

I have been using a bead until last spring when I shot over a bird at 20-25 yds. Finally got him clean on 3rd shot. That was enough for me to get a proper sight.  My problem is I use the gun for ducks and our season ends 1/27 and turkey season starts a month later so I dont have a lot of time or places to go check sight down here in South Florida. I feel a lot more comfortable now with the truglo magnum gobble dot.

paboxcall

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on February 19, 2015, 11:20:17 AM
I've since changed to a lighter weight gun with poa/poi issues so went with adjustable sights on it. Strutter.

Me too, sent my NEF single to William at Sumtoy to have a set of Williams adjustable sights installed.  Can't wait to get it back, gun shot low with the bead, and I had to float the bead.  No more!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Bowguy

Mount the gun properly, aim for the waddles and the bead is fine. It's almost all I use. Don't need a scope to shoot 40 yards or less. Peeps are a pia if the birds head is bobbing, trust me I've tried. My SP-10 has Williams sights on it because it throws my turkey load high left. Otherwise it'd be beaded as well.

Ihuntoldschool

Yes, I will only use a bead sight. Hi-viz fiber optic or metal does not matter to me, either one is fine. I prefer a single bead but I will tolerate a mid-bead if it is so small I can just ignore it and it does not get in my way. I do not care for adjustable sights or a scope.

howl

I tried all the options over the years. I went back to the bead several years ago when I stopped fooling with specialized, dedicated turkey guns. Now I just use one of the guns I use for everything else. I don't see bothering with any of the other options again.