OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Please help me understand this.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 18, 2015, 02:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have done some research but am coming up a little more confused.

Is a .662 choke a full or extra full size choke? Or neither one?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to get a ballpark idea of what my 870 will do at the range with the Hevi Shot .662 choke and Winchester Double X 3" #5.

I know I will need to pattern it to see what the combo will do, but can't decide if I need to go get the LongBeard Xrs as well.

Should I expect the DX's to spread quicker out of a .662 or stay tighter a little longer?

Just trying to figure this whole turkey hunting thing out. Thank you.

BABS9

I have the Hevi Shot turkey choke as well. It is considered a long range choke or extra full.  I shoot the Hevi Shot magnum blends with this choke and love it.  They are a combination of #5,6,7 shot. The 7 shot opens up more quickly giving you a better pattern at close ranges but you still have the 5 shot for down range. I took a turkey at 50 yards last year with them.  The winchesters will probably be very tight inside 20 yards making it easy to miss. But you should get good results down range.

deerbasshunter3

So, with the .662 choke, I don't need the Long Beards for a little extra distance? Extra distance being out to 40 yards.

BABS9

Pretty much any turkey load now a days will perform fine at 40 yards with a good choke. If you were looking to maybe try and get out to 50-60 yards then you want something like the XR's or Mag Blends.

Gobble!

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 18, 2015, 03:08:04 PM
So, with the .662 choke, I don't need the Long Beards for a little extra distance? Extra distance being out to 40 yards.

Its not all about the choke diameter. The internal workings of the choke play a major role. Its safe to assume all after market turkey chokes would be considered super full. If your a 40 yard guy I'm sure the Double XXs and the Hevi Choke will serve you well. I shot the 3.5" version #6s last year for shits on a cold day and got 118 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. That will kill at turkey at 40 everyday. Now with #5s and the 3" shells your probably going to be around 80 at 40 yards so you need to shoot to see what your working with.

born2hunt

Ive seen you asking alot of questions lately, which is good, BUT!!! do your self a huge favor and slow it down and keep it simple. Dont be so quick to get to hung up on all the big patters and long ranges.  This sport is tough and challenging but not rocket science. Take that 870 you have with the factory full choke,  buy a box of premium turkey loads like LongBeards. Go shoot it,  find your max range and move on to more important things. Ill bet money you will have a solid pattern out to 30 yards at least. Which is perfectly fine for probably 75% or more of the birds killed each year. Spend all that saved time on your calling and scouting.  Go out and hunt, stick to your range and have FUN... Then after this seasons over start preparing early for the next if you really feel the need to improve things. Its just tough and exspensive to try and get all the latest gear a month or two before the opener. Good luck...
Just for the record, I have a plain old 870 express, and with its factory full choke it will put 140 in the 10 at 30 yards with el'cheapo Rem Nitros. I would hunt  that setup any day of the season out to a max 35 yards  and have no worries at all.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."