turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Super Vinci and SSX Gobble Stopper Issue

Started by TurkeyTim, February 16, 2015, 09:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyTim

I went and patterned my Super Vinci with my new SSX Gobbler choke.  It did not go well. I was shooting Mag Blend 3 and 3.5 inch and Hevi 13 7s in 3 and 3.5 shells at 20 and 40 yards.  The patterns were not very good and did not even count them.  The problem came when I went to remove the choke.  I started to unscrew the choke and it got stuck. I started to worry that my barrel was ruined. I had to use a pair of channel locks to remove the choke.  After about five minutes of working the choke out the the black paint was gone and it was bare metal about 3/4 way down. 

So it appears the choke expanded at some point. So I am out $40 and looking for a new choke.  The barrel appears fine as my other chokes screw in just fine.  Has anybody else had this issue with the SSX choke?

reynolds243

I've seen it happen a few times with those chokes. Imo they are not the best made chokes out there and I personally don't care to fool with one in my $1500 shotgun

Proverbs 3:5

Sent from my phone using Technology

Snoody Bastid

I had the same thing happen with that choke on a Benelli Nova I had. I was shooting 3-2-6's & Mag Blends. I called TruGlo and explained what happened. They acted like I did something wrong and had me send it back for a replacement (would not cover shipping costs). I received a new choke & hat. I subsequently sold both on Fleabay. TruGlo is a NoGo IMHO.

birdyhunter

Just spend the extra money on a sumtoy or rhino imo. Both are well worth the extra cheddar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I had it happen on one of my SBE 2's. Sent the choke back and received a replacement like an idiot and had the same thing happen again. Like someone else said spend the extra money on a higher quality choke.

Rem Man

I was just getting ready to make a post about this. I shot my Benelli Super Nova last Sat, and when I came home to clean the gun the choke was very hard to get out as it came towards the skirt. The choke was a Primos Jellyhead. It went in the garbage!

TurkeyTim

When I took it out the package I should have known something was up as i noticed rust spots on the bottom of the choke. It even looked cheaply made.   Anybody looking to buy this choke don't.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Cut N Run

After reading this thread, I checked the SSX in my SBE II and it was tighter than it should have been. I managed to get it out and there is a similar wear pattern as in the above picture.  I also put a call in to William at Sumtoy for a real replacement.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

nerdthan

I have had the same problem in a super nova, when I first used it I got blisters on my hands from trying to get it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
go big or go home
Canadian gobble stoppers

Swamp Hunter

Happened to me too...twice. The first was replaced by the company and the second swelled after two shots.  I gave up on the SSX after that. I shoot a M1 and have several other brands of turkey chokes and have not had a problem with any of them.

If anyone has this choke I suggest you check it after firing a round or two.

darron

KNock on wood...never had a problem with them out of my benelli m1 or my 20ga 870.

Green Trumpeter

Every person who has experienced this problem in this thread has a benelli.  Is this only a problem in benelli guns or guns threaded for crio/crio plus chokes?  My dad has the SSX in a Winchester 1200, I will have to tell him to keep an eye on this.

Izzyjoe

Wow, thanks guys, I was gona try one of these in my 870. No way, not now!