turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MO Public hunting...

Started by jbennett, February 15, 2015, 10:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

I know it's a long shot but I will be venturing out to my first Missouri trip this year. I have hunted in Nebraska (I would be glad to share info on NE public land that I've found)and had a blast last Spring and hope to have some success in MO this year. I can only stay a few days and don't have nearly enough money to afford an outfitter. I plan to hunt around the Harry Truman Res. area but that is 58K acres!!! I know that it is just not cool to ask a turkey hunter for info on where to hunt and I'm not asking for GPS quadrants but if you can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm me or email if you don't want to tell the "world". joshua.bennett@medstat-ems.com

Thanks,

Josh

Rwgrobe

Just about anywhere around the lake on the corp ground will be ok just watch for the state park boundries as they are off limits I would maybe hunt up by bucksaw resort maybe.Get on missouri conservations site and look up also for the mo. atlas that list all the public hunting areas in each county, the conservation department owns a lot.

sasquatch1

jakesdad

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 16, 2015, 07:59:49 AM
I don't think its too far from there but I've deer hunted ranacker, Dupont and Anderson conservation areas before and saw plenty of birds.

Only about 200 miles difference.Truman is in the SW part of the state near Warsaw while Ranacker,Dupont and Anderson are in the NE part up around Louisiana-Bowling Green-Hannibal area.You may be thinking of Mark Twain Lake which is closer to those 3 areas.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

crappieangler

I've never hunted them there, but see them around when we go snag paddlefish.  This is in the Warsaw area, NW of town, can't remember the exact location as it's been a few years. Good luck, and post back how it turns out.

sasquatch1

Quote from: jakesdad on February 16, 2015, 08:51:14 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 16, 2015, 07:59:49 AM
I don't think its too far from there but I've deer hunted ranacker, Dupont and Anderson conservation areas before and saw plenty of birds.

Only about 200 miles difference.Truman is in the SW part of the state near Warsaw while Ranacker,Dupont and Anderson are in the NE part up around Louisiana-Bowling Green-Hannibal area.You may be thinking of Mark Twain Lake which is closer to those 3 areas.
Yep I sure was, I just looked at the map.

jbennett

Thanks so much for the replies!!! I have looked at google earth so much over the last week that I see tree tops in my sleep. I'm so excited to get to explore MO this Spring. Thanks again!

ozarkhooks

I live right by truman lake lots and i mean lots of awesome public turkey hunting ground around here. I'll give some more details when i have more time to post. I hunt mostly private these days but still have some great public favorites I would be glad to share.

tonybforua

Is public land up there like it is here in Alabama. Ours get hunted kinda hard first couple weeks. Then the new wears off and most quit hunting.

jbennett

Quote from: ozarkhooks on February 16, 2015, 08:36:51 PM
I live right by truman lake lots and i mean lots of awesome public turkey hunting ground around here. I'll give some more details when i have more time to post. I hunt mostly private these days but still have some great public favorites I would be glad to share.

Man that would be awesome! Thanks

coyotetrpr

If you have a boat you should take it. Fish for crappie while listening for gobblers when you hear one beach the boat and go after him.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

ozarkhooks

pappy

Good thing we Missourians like imports....LOL....you are gonna have a hunt of your lifetime, where I am we have a 6K public land area mostly bottom land, along the Mississippi River. It is hunted hard the first week, but then tapers off, the birds get back to their thing a week later and all's well that ends well, look up Donaldson Point in the southeastern part of Missouri. Where the chicks hatch out at 20 pounds!!!!!!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206