OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new federal 3rd degree

Started by mr perfect, February 14, 2015, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr perfect

hey fellows

has anybody tried the new federal 3rd degree shells

jason5.9

I have a brand new box of 3.5's, but it turned cold and we got about 4 inches of snow here today and I havent had a chance to shoot them yet. 

mr perfect

jason 

keep  us posted i am curious

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

reynolds243

I wouldn't say pure junk as I'm sure they will kill turkeys. Just way over priced and much more marketing hype they actual usefulness.

Proverbs 3:5

Sent from my phone using Technology

jrmcclure

A 3"magnum blend is $27 and after the $10 rebate cost $17 a box. Winchester long beards are $18 and are ten round box's. Both are better shells. 3rd degrees are overpriced for what they are.

skimerhorn

I bought a box of 3.5 today for $18. Gonna give them a try.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Oconeeguy

Maybe marketing hype, but I want to see patterns and penetration data before I make up my mind on the shells.

jason5.9

Alright guys, as promised I am updating how the Federal 3rd Degree in 3.5 worked.  Well I say, take the money and buy Long Beards or Magnum Blend. 

First Shot was with the stock choke tube and counted 123 from 40 yds, Second shot was with Sumtoy .660 and put 139 in 10 inches from 40.  Not terrible numbers but they were very spotty.  The pattern was heavy in one quadrant and big blank areas in another.  According to the advertisement, the pattern should be pretty even from 20-50 yds.  THe #7 open up quickly at close range, while the 5-6 continue to hold tight, then by mid range the 6's should have opened up, then the 5's at longer ranges so in theory those numbers should hold steady from 20-40 yds but i aint buying it. 

I may actually put them in as follow up shot shells just in case.

drum817

This is exactly the results I was expecting......sorry you wasted your money.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mr perfect

ok well i guess i am not buying any 3rd degree kinda what i wanted to know