turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Point of impact question

Started by turkey buster, February 12, 2015, 09:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Guys I used squirrel loads and dialed my gun in about 15-20 yards and backed off to 40 with my turkey loads and got it shooting good. But for the sake of saving shells will the poi still be good from 0-40 or should I go back out and try a few from 0-25?

Bigspurs68

You'll be fine. If there's any chance of a miss caused by a poi difference, it'll be inside 15 yds. You can pretty well figure that at that distance, a turkey load and a cheap load will impact pretty darned close to each other. IF.. you are scoped with a high mount, your aiming point will be a little above your pattern for a short distance, which.. Won't mean a thing unless you try to shoot one mid gobble at 4 yards and you have the presence of mind to aim precisely at his eyeball.
  To shorten it up,, go shoot turkeys.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Ihuntoldschool

Like BigSpur said point of impact will be fine.  I like to take a shot fairly close just to get an idea of how small of a pattern I may be working with in case a bird gets in tight on me.

turkey buster

I think I'll shoot it about 10-15 yards after it warms up again just to see the tightness and have a peace of mind. Thanks guys and I didn't think it would change much If it did at all.

Harper801

I sighted in my scope at 12 yds. with my turkey load.  Got the Poi dead on. Backed up to 25 yds. and I was shooting about 5" high. Missed turkey.  I have always sighted my scope at 25 yds. because of this.  I'm good out to 40+ and 15 yds or less.  So, I would definitely shoot it at different ranges. 
Good luck with your pattern.  Hope this helped