turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recoil questions

Started by g8rvet, February 10, 2015, 02:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

First let me start by saying I am a hardcore waterfowl hunter too.  I shoot an O/U for everything unless I am hunting the salt (too nice of a gun to let the salt work on it).  I probably shoot over a case of shells every season at ducks and geese.  Never had any problem with recoil on my Classic Doubles 12 gauge O/U or my 870 (3").  I routinely shoot 100 rounds of sporting clays with no worries, maybe a little sore, but fine.

I am about out of my old Remington Hevi Shot and have been looking and trying new loads. I bought some Hevi13 #6 in 3" and have been patterning them.  They really kicked my arse this weekend, neck started aching and arm getting a little numb (I have a pinched nerve in my neck).  I am not worried at all about the recoil of a single shot during hunting, but I have to sight the gun in and my son lives 3 hours away (would love to make him do it!). 

So, here is what I did. I purchased a Remington Supercell Recoil pad to try on my gun for sighting sessions, will leave it on all the time if I like it and it is comfortable (it is not like I NEED recoil :) ).  I am also trying the Hevi Mag Blend low recoil loads to see how they pattern.  I just purchased a Hevi 13 tube as I was not that pleased with the pattern I got from my old choke with the new shells.  If I am still not impressed, I will start trying some different loads.

So my questions, short of a recoil lowering stock (seems crazy for using maybe once a year - it is no worries for hunting), any other thoughts?  I am looking at mercury recoil rods for the stock if I am not happy with the supercell.  Anyone had good results with the Mag Blend low recoil?  I field hunt and did make a mistake and killed one a couple of years ago at 47 yards, although I seriously doubt I will make that mistake again, you never know. I just want to be real confident at 40 yards. 90% of my kills are less than 30 and I had one two years ago I let walk out a little further-killed him at 15 yards. 6 steps seemed like a recipe for a miss!   I am looking for a good hunting pattern, not getting crazy with 300 pellets in a 10" circle or anything. I searched for Low recoil Mag Blend and could not find much on it, pattern wise.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts with my problems.     
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

that load should be great, older  hevi shot had a white hull and similar load and it was a  cat to shoot, first time I fired it i thought I shot a dud! 

Birdyblaster

You need to invest in a lead sled.  That was one of the best $80 purchases I've ever made on a piece of hunting/shooting equipment.  I use it for patterning all my turkey guns/loads and recoil is a non-issue.  I routinely shoot 3.5" 2.25 oz 12 gauge, heavy 300 win mag, and others out of it and never have even the least tenderness in my shoulder after.  It's also great for testing loads and sighting in rifles as the gun literally doesn't move while in the sled.  They made several different types/models as plain or fancy as you want to to.  I highly recommend it.

g8rvet

Excellent thought Birdy.  Thank you.  Now that I think about it, my brother may have one, or may have borrowed one once.  I think I now need a new toy. I will try the pinched nerve angle on the wife.  Maybe the pity angle will get her to buy me one. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

zelmo1

:fud: I agree, the lead sled is the way to go. Takes out the extra thinking about the recoil and in the field when the adrenaline is pumping, those 3 or 3.5 inch mags won't matter. Good luck, Al Baker

yelpaholic

lead sled all the way......

Marc

When patterning the gun for turkey hunting, I use a light 1 oz load...  Use your turkey choke, and shoot at a target 3 times on the same paper...  This will tell you where your gun is shooting, and give you a good idea of the hold point.

I then put one, or maybe two separate patterns on paper with the shells and chokes I will be using just to make sure I have a good pattern...  Generally one shell at about 30 yards, and one at 40 yards for good measure...  Those turkey loads are too expensive and recoil too much to fire a bunch of them on paper...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Marc on February 23, 2015, 12:51:31 AM
When patterning the gun for turkey hunting, I use a light 1 oz load...  Use your turkey choke, and shoot at a target 3 times on the same paper...  This will tell you where your gun is shooting, and give you a good idea of the hold point.

I then put one, or maybe two separate patterns on paper with the shells and chokes I will be using just to make sure I have a good pattern...  Generally one shell at about 30 yards, and one at 40 yards for good measure...  Those turkey loads are too expensive and recoil too much to fire a bunch of them on paper...

:z-winnersmiley:  ^^^ +1 this is the method I've used for almost 20 years.  In fact, just did this exact same thing with my new Remington 870 turkey gun I bought; worked like a champ.  I ran 3.5" Long Beards & they kicked my tail, son, but ...  My guns on, and I'm satisfied that I can kill a bird, without killing myself beforehand...  haha

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

g8rvet

Thanks ya'll. I am gonna polish my barrel soon and see what numbers I get, but just bought a 20 and am having a blast shooting it and getting it tuned up.  I won't need to get much better numbers and the 12 may get retired, except for occasional hunts.

howl

Look up Shooter's Friend. Big recoil pad that won't change POI from normal. If you're using a common gun, you should be able to just find out what usually works here on OG. A few shots to verify and you're good to go.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Marc on February 23, 2015, 12:51:31 AM

Interesting. I would have thought that a one ounce load would not give you the same POI as a heavier load. I assume you are doing that at about 10 or 15 yards? I might have to try this. My shoulder is still sore from patterning my gun yesterday.

deerbasshunter3

Also, I have a cheap basic 52" soft gun case. I found that if I fold it in half and put it between my shoulder and the butt stock, I feel little to no recoil.

Marc

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2015, 05:55:01 AM

Interesting. I would have thought that a one ounce load would not give you the same POI as a heavier load. I assume you are doing that at about 10 or 15 yards? I might have to try this. My shoulder is still sore from patterning my gun yesterday.

At the yardage I am shooting a shotgun, there will be very little difference (i.e. 40 yards).  And remember, the weight of the individual pellets is independent of the payload...  The difference between 1 oz of #6 lead, and 1 7/8 oz of #6 lead is the number of pellets...  At similar muzzle velocities the pellets should behave similar as well.

As an example #6 lead fired from a .410 has the same potential yardage as #6's fired at the same muzzle velocity from a 10 gauge...  The difference being that the 10 gauge is putting more pellets out there, and there is a far higher chance of a lethal pellet strike...  But a single pellet strike from the .410 will hit a bird just as hard as a single pellet strike from the 10 gauge.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

LaLongbeard

????
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Dr Juice

I agree with birdyslayer. The leadsled has saved my shoulder from heavy magnums over the years. Plus it's easier to lock on your target for more effective patterning. Good luck.