OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to straighten bbl?

Started by fountain2, February 09, 2015, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: Tbrady835 on February 09, 2015, 03:09:32 PM
A lot of people might tell you not to do this but I have done it and it works, bend the barrel between a tree limb just be very careful. Pm me if interested and I'll tell u details

if you do this video it....please  :popcorn:

drum817

Quote from: Gobble! on February 11, 2015, 09:53:30 PM
Quote from: Tbrady835 on February 09, 2015, 03:09:32 PM
A lot of people might tell you not to do this but I have done it and it works, bend the barrel between a tree limb just be very careful. Pm me if interested and I'll tell u details

if you do this video it....please  :popcorn:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Ihuntoldschool

Now you guys laugh and it does sound funny but it works and if done right will not cause any damage.
Just like Tbrady said you can bend it yourself with a tree limb for free or pay a gunsmith to bend it between tree limbs or some gunsmiths may prefer to use the bumper of an automobile.

drum817

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 11, 2015, 11:12:21 PM
Now you guys laugh and it does sound funny but it works and if done right will not cause any damage.
Just like Tbrady said you can bend it yourself with a tree limb for free or pay a gunsmith to bend it between tree limbs or some gunsmiths may prefer to use the bumper of an automobile.

I don't know how the gunsmiths in your area operate..... But there's NO WAY any smith I know would EVER bend a barrel in a tree!!!  It's horrible advice.... I don't care if the old timers did it that way or not.... You aren't doing anybody any favors by offering that kind of advice..... As a matter of fact that kind of advice could cause someone to damage their gun or worse damage themself.  That's my last post on this thread...I'm out.

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Ihuntoldschool

Well if your smiths don't use a good forked tree or a truck bumper maybe they use a bag of shot over the tailgate of a truck, that works well also. I am actually quite surprised at the reaction people have had to these methods which have proven to work time and time again. The guy said he did not want to change sights and shims will in all likelihood not provide near enough adjustment. Don't knock these methods until you have tried them. They have all worked time and time again. You guys ever been around any trap shooters?

worth612000

He already stated what gun he has and I know that model has a rib barrel. What is so bad about gobble dot sights. I sold 2 sets new in the pack on here for $15  each TYD and it might have been drum that bought them. I'am sure it's been done, but why risk it or scratching the barrel, it's not a $75 dollar gun. The funny thing is we're the only ones talking and not him. if I didn't want let loose of a dollar I would see which way it shoots and just aim a little off to compensate for it. Problem solved.

Ihuntoldschool

I think Owl is right, if he puts that dead ringer on he probably can adjust it to shoot where it needs to be and will not need to mess with them shims or bend it.

fountain2

I'm not doing anything until I put the sights on and see and then question dead ringer themselves if I can't get it right. 
I was just curious as to how gunsmiths actually fix the poi/poa.  Yes, Sumtoy does offer this and maybe he can tell us.  I don't see how this is done without bending the bbl in some way
I hope to actually shoot this gun in an hour or so before I leave for Nashville and I will know whether or not I can get it better with the dead ringer sights

fountain2

No good...still 10"low/10" right. 

Still looking to fix this using this sight....pattern was nice though.

Gobble!

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 11, 2015, 11:12:21 PM

So tell me how do you correctly bend a barrel on a tree? Should I find a good oak or is pine better? Would it work if I just gave it one hard swing like I was trying to hit a home run? Maybe throw the barrel in a fire pit for an hour so its easier to bend.

Tell you what....I have some poison on my arm that wont stop itching think it would be a good idea to cut my arm off to make it stop? Saw a big bug in my basement the other day, think I should set my house on fire to get him out?

taylorjones20

Is the barrel actually bent?  Can you look at the rib on the barrel and the notch on top of the receiver and see if they are lined up straight?  I had a Beretta that wouldn't line up there - so the barrel was actually bent.  It shot WAY left. Called a very reputable and knowledgeable gunsmith and they said they could bend the barrel but they don't recommend it because most of the time they are like an old water hose, eventually it will go back...  In any case, I wouldn't bend the barrel, especially on a benelli.  Call benelli.... Try different chokes... If you haven't, try a factory choke at close range and see what it does...  Good Luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tbrady835

I understand why u guys are laughing, bending the barrel between tree limbs does sound crazy and I shouldn't have posted it bc it is not good advice to give someone, but it does work, a vice will scratch it unless you wrap it in something and then you can't see exactly where you are applying pressure and it will not create a weak spot bc the amount you will need to bend it is so minute, He asked in the original post if there was a way he could fix it his self to save money, I thought I was being helpful, where I come from money is tight and I can't afford to pay a gunsmith 100$ to heat up the barrel and straighten it when I can do it myself. You guys have really bashed me on this idea I had no idea it would upset this many people, I agree I should not have posted it bc some people might be trying this without proper knowledge of what they are doin and could result in injury and I apologize to everyone. Thank you I huntoldschool for sticking up for me on this subject but I think it's clear a lot of people on here have more money than sense

fountain2

^ your response was actually the same as o was advised by another as well and pretty good source.  Its just what is done and I feel most don't ask how it was done when they send a gun out for the poi/poa adjustment.

Ihuntoldschool

Tbrady, you are welcome and there was not a thing in the world wrong with your post. We honestly tried to help fountain and I believe the methods we suggested are best for his situation if the sights did not correct his problem. I stand by what you and I posted. The method suggested is the same method most gunsmiths use to straighten barrels. I can understand the post where people would laugh, I get that. But some of the comments are way out of line, just for offering proven techniques to help fix poi. It is easy to jump on someone because their method sounds unconventional or does not follow the party line.

Fountain, since the sights didn't help fix the poi, I would honestly say pm Tbrady, he can explain it better than I can. I would not waste money on shims, they will not fix 10 inches off.

the Ward

I don't have any problem with  Tbrady trying to help a guy out. Gunsmiths do bend barrels to correct poi. They are professionals and have years of experience with the proper equipment to do this. I have seen guys try doing this at turkey shoots themselves, trial and error at best. Trying to bend a ($$) Benelli Crio barrel (extremely hard material) AT HOME between trees is probably not the best course of action. How many degrees per inch do you bend it to correct a 10"x 10" poi at 40 yards ? You don't know that ihuntolschool, do you? Just cross your fingers and keep bending and fatiguing the barrel? And you are wrong about the shims, they can move the poi 10"do a google search and educate yourself on them. Trap, skeet and sporting clay  competitors pay big money to have their stocks fitted to them to get the poi shooting where they want. Could be the choke tube is off center in the barrel, and all the bending in the world isn't going to make it right. A good gunsmith can check it out and know for sure.  I'm done with this subject.............    :deadhorse: