OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Durability of red dot

Started by Adamj1218, February 09, 2015, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamj1218

I was looking into a red dot sight for my 20g and have couple of questions on the durability of the sights.  I am looking for feedback in general on red dot sights.  How well do they hold zero?  How is the battery life if applicable? And, overall durability of the sight?   For instance, you accidentally bump it against a tree or gets hung on your vest, etc.  My hunting style is run and gun style and I tend to be a little rough on my equipment trying to get in close on a turkey.  FYI, I have been looking at the Weaver, Burris, and Truglo.  $200 is my max.  I am open to any suggestions or opinions.  Thanks

ericjames

Get the Burris ff3. I like it better than any of the previous red dots I've owned. The ones I've owned are tru glo gobble stopper, ff2 weaver micro dot and the ff3. I know they are tough and proven. I also have the weaver micro dot on a 870 20 gauge and never had a problem with it. All of mine have held zero perfect from season to season. My ff3 is doing great on battery it's on its 3rd season on the battery that it came with. The weaver is on its second battery. Only because I was curious about battery life. I left it turned on just to see how long it would last since it doesn't have the auto turn off feature like the fastfire3. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Another red dot that others have had good luck with on this site is mueller quick shot.

ericjames

Here's the review I did on the weaver in case you've never saw it.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=38458

CrustyRusty

I'm a big fan of the Burris but I see vortex has a new site called the venom. It has the same footprint as the fastfire but it has ten intensity settings which is nice. I wish burris had more intensity settings. Vortex stands behind their products as well as any company could tho. The fastfire is proven tho and makes a great lightweight alternative. Good luck.

USMC0331

The best bang for your money is hands down the FFIII plus it has lifetime warranty. Vortexx has a lifetime warranty as well but cost more. Aimpoint which cost a lot more is in my opinion the top of the line due to optical superiority, extremely well built, razor edge dot clarity and Legendary second to none battery life, however again cost a lot more. Truglo makes several red dot models which cost a lot less but I do not know how well they hold up . They might have a lifetime warranty. Weaver and Muller make low cost red dot optics with no lifetime warranty. FFIII,Aimpoint, and I believe Muller you can change battery without removing sight. Hope this helps a little.

Snoodsniper

FF3 is tough. Get the piccatinny protector for extra insurance. I added mine after dropping it on the basement floor.(it never lost zero) Battery life hasn't been an issue but I keep a spare in my vest. I have a couple other Burris optics and the quality and customer service is why I went with the FF3.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: ericjames on February 09, 2015, 01:59:57 PM
Get the Burris ff3. I like it better than any of the previous red dots I've owned. The ones I've owned are tru glo gobble stopper, ff2 weaver micro dot and the ff3. I know they are tough and proven. I also have the weaver micro dot on a 870 20 gauge and never had a problem with it. All of mine have held zero perfect from season to season. My ff3 is doing great on battery it's on its 3rd season on the battery that it came with. The weaver is on its second battery. Only because I was curious about battery life. I left it turned on just to see how long it would last since it doesn't have the auto turn off feature like the fastfire3. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Another red dot that others have had good luck with on this site is mueller quick shot.
How does the Auto Turn Off feature work on the FastFire 3??

ericjames

After 8 hours of continuous use it has an auto off feature in case you forget to turn it off.

bammerslammer 50

Take a look at the Bushnell trs 25. I've shot a pretty good bit of shells through my gun patterning and what not and it's held zero. For the money I think its as good as it gets. The ff3 has a better warranty but cost a 100.00 or better more. For the 95.00 I gave for mine im more than satisfied.

rpinks

I have four red dots. Bushnell trophy, trs 25. ff2 and ff3. I have harvested turkeys with all of them and I still have them. I was always concerned about the glow on the trs 25 however it doesn't seam to bother the birds. I have never had a problem with any of them holding zero. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Thanks, RP