OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New weights for lb

Started by Tbrady835, February 09, 2015, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrady835

Has anyone bought any of the new weights of longbeards? I've found them available in a couple places but out of stock, thanks for any info.

Izzyjoe

Man I hope they don't mess them up, I just got on the bandwagon and I love them!

BandedSpur

Upping the payload not a great idea with the 6s. Lowering velocity from 1200 fps to 1050 fps will decrease pellet energy. The 6s are putting up great patterns now. Those shells will run out of pellet energy before they run out of pattern. Fives on the other hand, with excess pellet energy to start with, may benefit from the increase payload if they in fact put up higher numbers.

Tbrady835

That's what I'm running in my setup now is longbeard 3.5" 2oz 5's and I'm getting around 190 in the ten w835 and .670 ssx, I'm hoping I can break 200 with the 2 1/8 oz weight. Just can't find any to buy

Ridge Rooster

Wonder what the minimum velocity  would be for lead 6's  to kill effectively at 40 yards? I am also curious if Winchesters advertised velocity was taken out of a 28" barrel gun and what the decrease would be for every inch of barrel length below 28"??

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

turkey buster

I'm disappointed that Winchester would take something that ain't broke and we'll break it.  I like the Longbeards and will continue to buy them, but will make sure I'm getting the "old" shells. Funny after a year we have to call something old.

I could be wrong and hold the right to insert foot into mouth but slowing down a lead #6 and advertising it to be just as deadly is wrong. There comes a time when ammo company's need to realize their Hevi or lead whatever it might be only kills so far. It's pointless to have 200-300 in the 10 at 80 yards or some ridiculous range if it lost its killing effectiveness at 45-50. Might as well throw sand in his face

owlhoot

You wouldn't think that they would eliminate the OLD longbeards.
They made the high velocity supremes along with the standard XX for years .
1300 vs 1125 i think? 3" 1 3/4 oz. vs 2 oz. And some 1 7/8 loads in there too.
I would imagine that they are going to offer it in plenty of choices, such as the rooster xr loads.
As long as it is costs effective for them.
The rest of the long distance, extra killing effectiveness  stuff is just a sales pitch.
Pattern effectiveness is what they have got at 40 yards. :z-twocents:

Tbrady835

I hope the new weights pattern as good a a the "old" weights do. I don't see any reason they wouldn't but I guess you never know until you try?

tonybforua

Anybody know when these will be on shelves or online?

Ridge Rooster

I tried ordering some from Macks Prairie Wings the other day, they had them advertised in their turkey catalog in both shot sizes, they had none of either in 6 shot 3" or 3.5".

Did order some of the older shot weights from Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Ridge Rooster

davisd9

I would personally rather have more POP than more hits. Just do not see how this improved the shells. Do see how putting Magnum on them will improve sales though.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BandedSpur

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on February 11, 2015, 04:26:50 PM
Wonder what the minimum velocity  would be for lead 6's  to kill effectively at 40 yards? I am also curious if Winchesters advertised velocity was taken out of a 28" barrel gun and what the decrease would be for every inch of barrel length below 28"??

Ridge Rooster

Based on Tom Roster's work that suggests 1.5 ft-lbs of KE being the min req'd to consistently kill turkeys, a lead 6 would need to be launched at a min of 986 fps (0 elev and 70 degrees) to maintain that energy at 40 yds, so the new LB offering at 1050 would exceed that number. But woe to he who tries to kill one at 60 yds with that load.

As to what length barrel Winch uses to test, Clark has posted that answer, but I can't remember what it was. The good news is that the 3" 1.75 oz LBs that I chrono'd through my 26" 1187/IC .665 did 1293 fps, considerably higher than Winch published numbers of 1200 fps. So hopefully the new heavier offering will exceed nominal velocity as well.

Ridge Rooster

TauntoHawk

I will give them a go but probably only in the #5's, with the old shells I was only getting about 15 less hits with the 5s than the 6's so i shot the 5's already if I could get a few extra hits with the new payload they should still have plenty of energy.

Still love my hevi #6 but that supply is slowly dropping down.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>