OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If the weather is pretty...

Started by Blong, February 08, 2015, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blong

mid march-mid may,Its been 3 days since the last cool front came thru, 3 days of sunshine and highs of 65-75. Do you generally hear gobbling on these mornings? A few years ago I would have answered no because our birds were silent for a few years after Katrina. I don't know if predators ate the vocal ones or instinct made them not gobble because of so many thickets. In the good ole days 84-91, it was nothing to hear 3 birds a morning. Its nothing like that anymore. What about your neck of the woods?

silvestris

I assume you are talking about St. Tammany Parish.  Katrina turned much of that country into a bramble patch and it will take some time yet until it is once again turkey country.  It became a predator's paradise and what few turkeys remain will advertise only as much as necessary.

I understand that Hugo did as much to the Francis Marion National Forest in South Carolina.  Perhaps there are some on here who are familiar with that property and how it is recovering to give you a reasonable time line for recovery in Southeast Louisiana.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Blong

Quote from: silvestris on February 08, 2015, 12:54:43 PM
I assume you are talking about St. Tammany Parish.  Katrina turned much of that country into a bramble patch and it will take some time yet until it is once again turkey country.  It became a predator's paradise and what few turkeys remain will advertise only as much as necessary.

I understand that Hugo did as much to the Francis Marion National Forest in South Carolina.  Perhaps there are some on here who are familiar with that property and how it is recovering to give you a reasonable time line for recovery in Southeast Louisiana.
No, I am in Jefferson davis county ms. It rained so much that the ground was saturated and the 10 hrs of 40-70 mph winds took out most of the big oaks in the low lying areas.

silvestris

You probably didn't get it as bad as St. Tammany, but being in the North east quadrant of the storm means that you got it pretty bad.  I would imagine that a pretty thick terrain was left in the wake of the storm, and only time will heal that mess.  Loss of canopy means a thick understory.  Our turkey relies primarily on eyesight for survival, and if the conditions warrant, the turkeys will leave, become more wary or become lunch for predators.  I sincerely hope that your habitat recovers as quickly as possible.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game