OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dots & Glare

Started by grayfox, February 07, 2015, 06:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

This has been discussed before but thought I'd share some of my testing this afternoon of what a turkey sees when looking at a red dot reflex type sight on your gun. These images are not great cause I was trying to keep the file size down but yet keep it good enough to see the glare off the red dots. The first 3 photos are from a Truglo TruBrite & the last three are from an UltraDot. The Truglo has a mirror or shinny look & the UltraDot gives off an orange glow like the Fastfires. These were taken from 3 different angles at somewhere between 20-25 yards. What are everyones thoughts on this? Thanks for looking.

Here are some closer pics of the UltraDot so you can see it better. The images are sorta washed out looking.

The Cohutta Strutter

Interesting! I had no idea they put off that amount of glare. I knew they glared but didn't realize they did to that extent. That would be a concern for me considering their eyesight. I've never owned one of those sights as I use the adjustable rifle type sights but have considered buying a Burris FF3. Hopefully the manufactures of these type sights will go to work on it. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate this! Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

grayfox

I've used the Truglo for the past two seasons with no problems & many others have used them also along with other red dot sights. I'd never really paid it much attention until this afternoon & started setting up my gun in the edge of the woods at different angles. This setup was not looking into the sun but the sun was shining with no clouds at the time of the photos. Also it made no difference if the red dots were turned on or off. Not trying to scare anybody from using red dots as I will be using the UltraDot this season myself but I do believe it's possible for it to spook a gobbler under the right conditions. Just try not to setup looking into the sun which I'm sure everybody knows that anyway. I always try my best to get in a darker shady spot if possible.

Devastator

I have an aimpoint 9000 and 2 leupold gilmores and noticed this a few years ago.Almost positive i got busted 2 times from the red glare.Been leaning toward the Williams slugger sights for all my turkey guns.

USMC0331

Depending on what red dot you have, there are black covers that are honeycomb patterned that slide/clip on front side of optic that remove all of the glare.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 08, 2015, 12:11:38 AM
Depending on what red dot you have, there are black covers that are honeycomb patterned that slide/clip on front side of optic that remove all of the glare.
Good to know when considering one of these.Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

Crappiepro

Thanks for taking the time and setting this up! I've wondered about this also with the red dot
        style scopes. There is always good info on here.   :icon_thumright:

Birdyblaster

I'm running a Primary Arms micro red dot with an anti-reflective device (ARD) like USMC0331 described and it completely eliminates the red glare.  It was a $10 ad-on that screws right into the end of the objective lens.  You can also just cover the end of the red dot and shoot with both eyes open.  Your left eye will superimpose the dot on the target and you can still shoot just fine.

Snoodsniper

This is good info and I suppose it could be a problem but for me it's a non issue. I've killed a bunch of birds with a red dot and have yet to be picked out from the glare. It's always the inability to sit still due to a worn out back and lack of patience that gets me busted. I could blame it on other things but I've killed turkeys with my A5 and that thing shines like a diamond in a goats . I won't worry about glare unless my prey is carrying a gun. -SS

Timmer

That supports what an acquaintance of mine claimed.  He said he could see glare off of his buddy's red dot from the other side of the field.  I'm nervous about this as I just purchased a Burris Fastfire III.  Their website has this claim though - "Index-matched, Hi-LumeĀ® multicoating provides low-light performance and glare elimination."  They also have a cover, but I'm not sure it changes anything related to glare. 

I was thinking that maybe you could put some see through face mask material over the front?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

ericjames

That's what I did last year. Took a pair of old mesh gloves. I cut a small piece off and  taped it on my protective cover and you can see through it just fine. It takes away the little bit of glare it had. You can also see through it in low light conditions. 

cutt down

Friend of mine said he noticed my Tru-Glo had a glare like a mirror. I have a FFlll on order. He has the FFlll with the cover & I never noticed it having a glare.

ericjames

The ff3 don't have much but if the sun light hit it the right way you would see a little. As a friend of mine said he should be dead by the time he sees a glare.

alloutdoors

My own testing with my FF3 has shown that at the right angle it is like someone shining a mirror at you. Bottom line, if a gobbler is approaching with the sun behind him and your sight is hit by sunlight there's a chance you will flash him. It's worst when the sun is low in the sky, so early or late in the day.

The good thing is, if you shoot with both eyes open you can block off the front of the sight entirely and it still works fine. I covered the front of the plastic rain cover that comes with the FF3 with camo tape and keep the cover on most of the time.

rpinks

been shooting red dots for 6 or 7 years. My first was a Bushnell trophy which  still have on a 535. have killed them also with a trs25,ff2 and ff3. I don't believe its ever been a issue. By the time they see the glare if they do they should be dead.
Thanks, RP