News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red Dots & Glare

Started by grayfox, February 07, 2015, 06:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
Been shooting a red dot for some time and learned the hard way about their shine. Since that time I always choose a spot that has my back to the sun (facing north) and a blind arrangement that isn't sitting out in the open. I opt for natural cover that gives me a "roof" as well. Pre-scouting an area puts me where I can get my hide set up so I'm comfortable about being hidden where the roosters are.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

grayfox

I honestly believe that the UltraDot has much more of a red glow than the FastFire.  It seemed it didn't matter how you setup the glare was always there, sunlight, shade or whatever.  The Truglo has a mirror like shine to it.  Had a hen Saturday walk within 15 yards & never spooked.  Not saying the UltaDot will spook a bird but it does have a lot of red glow to it even when not turned on.  I just like the 2 color options & the more brightness levels the TruGlo has to offer so I now have it back on my gun.

Greg Massey

Never had a problem with my red dot trs 25 and killing turkeys.

catclr

Quote from: grayfox on February 07, 2015, 06:29:10 PM
This has been discussed before but thought I'd share some of my testing this afternoon of what a turkey sees when looking at a red dot reflex type sight on your gun. These images are not great cause I was trying to keep the file size down but yet keep it good enough to see the glare off the red dots. The first 3 photos are from a Truglo TruBrite & the last three are from an UltraDot. The Truglo has a mirror or shinny look & the UltraDot gives off an orange glow like the Fastfires. These were taken from 3 different angles at somewhere between 20-25 yards. What are everyones thoughts on this? Thanks for looking.

I used a reflex couple years back, got rid of it for same reason as the picture shows, glare, and the spooking of turkeys, 3 in one morning hunting, made me that mad left the woods by 9am. Made a camo cover for it but just did not feel good knowing what had happened.  Got a Vortex strike force, and have not looked back.

TrackeySauresRex

I've had birds bust in the past for no apparent reason. Glare from the red dot was always suspected. When this did happen I was sure I rock steady still. Fixed tru glo sights is on her now.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

deadbuck

After reading this thread I got paranoid and put the screw in anti reflective device on my Aimpoint 9000sc. However, after hunting with it this spring I don't think it was really needed. The anti reflective device does hamper your vision a little compared to not having it on there.

DirtNap647

my fastfire just cost me a turkey again this morning it will be for sale day after season

mudhen

Another double digit tom season with zero red dot glare issues that I am aware of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

deadbuck

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 05, 2015, 10:07:16 AM
my fastfire just cost me a turkey again this morning it will be for sale day after season

The glare cost you a bird?

turkey_slayer

Quote from: mudhen on May 05, 2015, 11:34:30 AM
Another double digit tom season with zero red dot glare issues that I am aware of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt. My money is on movement or turkeys not seeing the "hen" or bad setups

DirtNap647

pretty sure it was glare im not a novice turkey hunter ;)

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 05, 2015, 12:32:25 PM
pretty sure it was glare im not a novice turkey hunter ;)
Neither are we ;). I honestly don't see a small shiny spot spooking a bird. Lots of shiny things in the woods when the sun is shining

DirtNap647

Appreciate you caring about me and what I hunt with but I will pick my scope

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 05, 2015, 01:50:33 PM
Appreciate you caring about me and what I hunt with but I will pick my scope
Who said I cared? Pick what you want but quit making excuses.

DirtNap647

just trying to add to the op's question