turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester patterning app!

Started by dfresh55, February 05, 2015, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfresh55

Check out this awsome little tool! Obviously I'm not saying this replaces patterning in real life this is just a nice little fun app!

http://patternboard.winchester.com/#/

ericjames

Pretty close to what my numbers were on lb 3.5"6's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GomerPyle

that is totally bogus.....I've watched 3 different guns with the same choke (different thread patterns obviously) and the same exact shells at the same exact distance shoot 3 wildly different patterns.  Different guns like different chokes.  Different chokes like different shells.  Different barrels like different shells. 

If that website accurately simulates what you get in real life, it's only by coincidence.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

ericjames

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 06, 2015, 12:12:42 PM
that is totally bogus.....I've watched 3 different guns with the same choke (different thread patterns obviously) and the same exact shells at the same exact distance shoot 3 wildly different patterns.  Different guns like different chokes.  Different chokes like different shells.  Different barrels like different shells. 

If that website accurately simulates what you get in real life, it's only by coincidence.

I agree, I was curious to punch in the info just to see what it would say. I think it said I should get 196 with3.5" #6's. With my 835 with a .670pure gold I get around 214 @41 but that was not a fresh clean barrel. I had about 4-5 down the pipe. I think anyone that has ever shot a gun should know that all guns/choke combos are different even in guns that are just alike. What they are trying to do is give people a guideline as to what they can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

Looks like a fun thing to play with! But in my limited knowledge of patterning, I didn't get quite the results as posted with my shotguns. There are lots of variables.

mgm1955

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 06, 2015, 12:12:42 PM

:agreed:

zelmo1

:happy0064: I do a lot of patterning for all my shotgun /ammo/choke combos. Until now I have not been a pellet counter to the  exact #. I may start doing that reading all of the ammo and sighting in posts. I do know tah patterns go thin faster than people think. If you think that your results that you get will be as good as the perfect conditions that the big ammo companies use, you will be dissappointed. Find what works best for you and stay with it. I killed ma nice tom last year at 52 yards,STONE DEAD, but never would have shot if I knew the distance was over 40 yards. I misjudged the distance in the field and I am usually pretty good with guessing distance and have been hunting for almost 40 years. I am investing in a range finder and keeping my shots to 40 yards to ensure the clean kill that a turkey deserves. Get to know your setup and be confident, not foolish. Thanks, Al Baker