OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Versa Max

Started by Paul Butler, February 05, 2015, 10:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Butler

I have recently purchased the new Remington Versa Max Sportsman. It has the 26" barrel. I am up for any thoughts or ideas for the perfect choke and ammunition to pattern the best. I have used the Indian choke in my Winchester SuperX2 for years. I also have been using Magnum blend 3" ammunition. I is the perfect set up for this gun. Thanks
Thunder Chicken

jason5.9

I got the 22 inch versa,  I bought about $150 worth of different turkey loads.  So far I have tried the following

Nitro Turkey 3.5/2/6
Kent Ultimate 3.5/2/6
Federal Premium with flight control 3.5/2.25/5
Winchester LB's 3.5/2/6 - Performed Best of these 4 loads with 264 in 10 inch

I have yet to try but currently own

Hevi 13, 3/1.75/6
Hevi Magnum Blend 3.5/2.25/5,6,7
Federal 3rd Degree 3.5/2/5,6,7
Remington Premier 3.5/2.25/4
Winchester LB 3/1.75/5
Winchester LB 3.5/2/5

I will post these results next week on Wednesday 11 Feb on a new thread once I get a chance to try them out.

KansasCowboy

I have found that the 3.5 in. Remington Nitro Turkey #5 perform best in most hunting situations with my versamax. The Longbeards is defiantly a tighter pattern for the longer 40-50 yard shots but most turkeys I kill are at 10 to 20 yards and the nitros have a more consistent spread at those ranges as well as a decent longer range pattern as well. Only downside I see with the longbeards is at 15-20 yards you better be right on that birds head bc its like shooting a slug at close range. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Paul Butler on February 05, 2015, 10:54:09 AM
I have recently purchased the new Remington Versa Max Sportsman. It has the 26" barrel. I am up for any thoughts or ideas for the perfect choke and ammunition to pattern the best. I have used the Indian choke in my Winchester SuperX2 for years. I also have been using Magnum blend 3" ammunition. I is the perfect set up for this gun. Thanks

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you. Congratulations on your Versa Max and in my experience, that 26" barrel is an excellent choice.

There are a variety of shells that will work but the Hevi-13 shells with #6 or #7 shot are a sure winner. The choke that most of my readers are buying today and have the best results with is the JEB's with a .655 e.d. I continue to get reports on how well that choke is doing with those guns.

Again, great to have you here and good luck with your new Versa Max.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Paul Butler

Thanks, Clark for the response. What inch shell was the best? 3in or 3 1/2"?
Thunder Chicken

Ihuntoldschool

Longbeard #6 shot with any quality choke you can get your hands on. By the way, the Remington factory .675 turkey/predator choke works great if you can find one. The gun and shell both shoot so well that I personally would not spend $110 bucks on a choke when a $40-60 choke will shoot just as good if not better.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Paul Butler on February 06, 2015, 04:41:45 PM
Thanks, Clark for the response. What inch shell was the best? 3in or 3 1/2"?

The 3' shell almost always patterns better.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."