turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossy Oak shotgun tape kits

Started by GomerPyle, February 04, 2015, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GomerPyle

anybody used them?  thoughts?  I'm thinking about getting one for my Winchester 1300 (in the thread below).  only $30 and the pics on their site look pretty sharp.  my main 2 concerns are moisture getting under the tape and rusting the gun, and if they really fit as well as they claim.

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Timmer

First, your profile pic looks like Dave Grohl so forgive me if I get all starry eyed and stutter as I'm so excited to be exchanging posts with the lead singer of my favorite band! :you_rock:  Ok, I'm sure that isn't who you are so on to answering...

I tried a couple of tape kits years ago.  The first one I used was a shrink wrap kit.  It did go on fairly well, but the material was shiny and once a tear started it would easily keep tearing and the whole thing would unravel.  Next I tried camo vet tape stuff and it worked fairly well and was cheap.  I was using open sights at the time, and didn't like the wraps going down the rib and at least mentally impacting my view.  It made me lose confidence in my aiming abilities.  It stuck ok, but edges did role here and there.  Next I used a camoclad kit, which I believe is vinyl, and it worked really well.  It covered everything I wanted, looked good, and I didn't have any trouble with it coming off. 

You hit the nail on the head with moisture and rust.  The vet tape was cheap enough that I took it off after hunting and cleaned my gun, so no problem there.  With the camoclad I made the mistake of leaving it on for about 12 months.  I was thinking that because it stuck so well and was vinyl it would keep out the moisture and I'd only have to worry about exposed parts.  Before hitting the field the next year I cut some off in order to mount a red dot and found rust.  I ended up tearing it off and finding rust everywhere.  Big mistake.  The problem with these is that they want you to take the oil off for the tape to stick, and moisture certainly gets in.  My recommendation is if you use it, rip it off asap when you are done and clean and oil your gun. 

The rust incident was enough for me to go out and buy a camo gun, for which I was looking for an excuse anyway!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

jblackburn

Are you referring to the Mossy Oaks Graphics pre cut kits? I have an old pump wrapped in that, and so far it seems worth the $22
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

GomerPyle

Quote from: Timmer on February 04, 2015, 06:06:32 PM
First, your profile pic looks like Dave Grohl so forgive me if I get all starry eyed and stutter as I'm so excited to be exchanging posts with the lead singer of my favorite band! :you_rock:

That is Dave Grohl, and I am NOT him.....also my absolute favorite band and I have a huge man crush on him (#NoHomo)

and thanks for the feedback....I think I'm just going to stick with it as-is until I can afford to have it professionally dipped

kevin2

I put a kit on a new shotgun I got last year. It turned out pretty nice. But, wish I would have just shelled out some extra cash for a camo shotgun in the first place. Live and learn.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

snapper1982

Put one on my coyote rifle. Not worth the money. I did everything it said and it is still bubbling up. Mostly on the barrel. I am assuming taking it in and out of the cold is causing condensation and possibly rust but I won't know until I peel it.

FireDoc

Love mine; Here's the thread on it.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,49862.0/topicseen.html

Plus I did my 4 Wheeler in the same about 6 years ago and has held up spectacular.

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

chcltlabz

I've done 4 guns with the Mossy Oak kits and won't ever pay the money to have another gun dipped.  Camo dip chips, peels and rusts, and I've never gotten more than a few years out of a dip job before it needed fixed.

I'm going on 3 years with my MO graphics guns with nothing peeling or chipping.  Do I think its better than a dip?  No, but at the price, I can apply the tape 10 times for the same money.  Kit goes on easy and there are very few seams for water to get in to, so I don't see how rust could be much of a problem.  The adhesive forms an air tight seal, so again, no issues for me, and I've waterfowled with the gun many times.  Believe me, it gets wet and comes in and out of the cold every day.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

GomerPyle

Quote from: chcltlabz on February 05, 2015, 02:40:18 PMKit goes on easy and there are very few seams for water to get in to, so I don't see how rust could be much of a problem.

The problem with that is that it completely contradicts Timmer's post above...you haven't had any issues with it but he has, so it's definitely a real concern.  I'm not sure why dipping would be a problem if done correctly by someone who does good work.  afterall, factory camo'd guns are dipped and most hold up just fine.

ILHUNTER

I put the Mossy Oak kit on my Remington 870 3 years ago and it has been thru rain and mud and still looks as good as day 1

GomerPyle

Quote from: ILHUNTER on February 05, 2015, 04:27:24 PM
I put the Mossy Oak kit on my Remington 870 3 years ago and it has been thru rain and mud and still looks as good as day 1

so you removed the kit after 3 yrs and it was still like new underneath?

Eview326

Have done two guns with the mossy oak graphics, a bps and a muzzleloader. The second came out really nice just because I had done it once. Well worth the money and have had zero issues in the three or so years I've had them done and the guns get hunted hard.

Mike Honcho

I'm a fan of 1300's and my 2 cents I like yours the way it is!  BTW I liked Dave Grohl when he was a drummer! 

If you win a small lottery(very small)  soon I have a great shooting Sumtoy that fits your gun, a .660.

Honcho

Timmer

As far as Dave Grohl, you and me both brother! 

Mine was a shotgun kit sold at Cabelas.  It had a few precut shapes for the rear stock, receiver, pump, and barrel.    I'm about 85% sure it was a Camoclad brand.   I put it on in late winter (dry air), cleaned the gun with with alcohol and let it dry before application per the instructions.  After use it didn't have any bubbling or other indicators of exposure. 

It sounds like others may have had better luck with other products, but I personally wouldn't risk it given my experience.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

chcltlabz

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 05, 2015, 04:10:20 PM
Quote from: chcltlabz on February 05, 2015, 02:40:18 PMKit goes on easy and there are very few seams for water to get in to, so I don't see how rust could be much of a problem.

The problem with that is that it completely contradicts Timmer's post above...you haven't had any issues with it but he has, so it's definitely a real concern.  I'm not sure why dipping would be a problem if done correctly by someone who does good work.  afterall, factory camo'd guns are dipped and most hold up just fine.

Use what you want, when you want, but its pretty clear Timmer did not use a Mossy Oak kit.  As for dipped guns, If you haven't had the finish chip or come off at all, factory or aftermarket, you don't hunt very hard, or you're a lot more gentle with your guns than I am.  I'm going on my 3rd season on my 870 wrapped with a MOG kit.  When I need to replace it, I'll be sure to post pictures.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.