turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting boom!

Started by Izzyjoe, February 03, 2015, 09:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Seems to me that a lot of wanna be's turn in to has been's when they realize its not as easy as TV.Plus you have to work for it.Cant sit in a tree and shoot one that walks by very often.After spending mega $$ on blinds,decoys,suped-up guns and high dollar shells then realizing its not as cool as being a diehard "bone-collector" they usually go away.Always seems there is a fresh batch to replace em the next year though.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 04, 2015, 09:41:33 AM
Lots of turkey "killers", few hunters..

oh so true
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: jakesdad on February 04, 2015, 11:07:39 AM
Seems like in got popular here when TV "hunting" became popular,then every wanna be TV host was chasin turkeys.Seems like the popular wears off after a couple days especially if the weathers bad or gobblers "arent acting right".You know call shy and that whole line of crap.Dont see near the turkey hunters as I do deer hunters tho and hope I never do.

I agree with you Jake after a few days and the fist two weekends most hang it up....the getting up early and actually finding out it takes some work and skill does most in.  I can tell a small increase of hunters in the areas I hunt but thank God not a huge amount...the deer hunters far out number the turkey hunters...I like it that way!!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

GobbleNut

To me, turkey hunting has always been about the method, not the end result.  In the early days of spring gobbler hunting, the method was to go find a gobbling turkey and call him to the gun.   That was the exciting part, not the twenty pound bird laying on the ground after the fact. 

In the last ten to fifteen years, many hunters have been introduced to turkey hunting like it is goose hunting.  You get a bunch of decoys,...set them up in a field,...get in a blind,...make some turkey noises,...and hope that a gobbler comes along.  That is absolutely not what spring gobbler hunting started out to be, but to some, that is what it has become.

That is unfortunate, because those new hunters that think that turkey hunting is about blinds and decoy spreads have been robbed of the true essence of the sport.  I can pretty much guarantee that if I had been introduced to turkey hunting that way, I would be saying,..."What's the big deal?"....and would have gone back to spring fishing and antlered game a long time ago. 

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 04, 2015, 06:50:54 PM
To me, turkey hunting has always been about the method, not the end result.  In the early days of spring gobbler hunting, the method was to go find a gobbling turkey and call him to the gun.   That was the exciting part, not the twenty pound bird laying on the ground after the fact. 

In the last ten to fifteen years, many hunters have been introduced to turkey hunting like it is goose hunting.  You get a bunch of decoys,...set them up in a field,...get in a blind,...make some turkey noises,...and hope that a gobbler comes along.  That is absolutely not what spring gobbler hunting started out to be, but to some, that is what it has become.

That is unfortunate, because those new hunters that think that turkey hunting is about blinds and decoy spreads have been robbed of the true essence of the sport.  I can pretty much guarantee that if I had been introduced to turkey hunting that way, I would be saying,..."What's the big deal?"....and would have gone back to spring fishing and antlered game a long time ago.
For a crazy Old Man you make sense sometimes. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

owlhoot

TV hunting shows , look it is easy , and lots of neat stuff you can buy. You can kill them at 70 yards with them new shells. :bike2:

hobbes

Timing if the "boom" probably has a lot to do with location.  I started 90 or 91 in IL and believe numbers had just taken off about then.  I'm in MT now and while there are turkey hunters here there isn't any "boom" in hunter numbers.  There also isn't much in the way of tradition like there is in southern states.  Turkeys are really an afterthought here for most, something to be killed as a bonus while big game hunting. 

I believe the "boom" has been a gradual increase nationwide.

Izzyjoe

Well I remember the first camo shotgun I ever saw, when me and a friend was at a sporting goods store in the early 90's, we both laughed, and said if you lean that against a tree, you'll lose it! When we started driving and going hunting on our own, we would buy any kind of 12ga shells that we get or hands on, a few times we got some federal turkey loads for squirrel hunting, and both of us complained about the recoil, but man they would flat kill squirrels in the top of hickory nut trees!  I remember the first time I seen a 3.5 mag shotgun, I thought lord why in the heck would somebody need that, some folks must enjoy pain! Back then we just had cheapie pump shotgun, we burned up a lot of ammo, but we had a good time, we'd talked about getting into turkey hunting, but young fellows at that age, we was to busy working, working on cars, and chasing girls!

VA_Birdhunter

Well said GobbleNut!  I am in my mid 30's and this coming spring will make my 25th year spring gobbler hunting.  I've never used a blind or a strutting decoy and never will....its about working that bird in close and playing the game hearing the sounds of spring thats what its all about!!! I also don't understand the point of shooting one with a rifle....I've had people tell me they sit on the edge of a field and shoot them at long range with a rifle when they won't come in...and I have come across two people in the woods carrying a shot gun and rifle in my 24 yrs of turkey hunting whats is the point in that...it all about killing a bird in my opinion what fun or enjoyment is in that?  My opinion but its not for me I have more respect for this awesome sport and addiction then that!!  If my dad would have started me off like that and as your described I really don't think I would be so addicted....but he didn't and I was addicted from the first hunt!  I live, sleep and eat turkey hunting and if it ever comes to that I'll quite!  Some of the greatest hunts I ever had I left with the birds still gobbling and me empty handed!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

jakesdad

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on February 07, 2015, 11:03:04 AM

Well said GobbleNut!  I am in my mid 30's and this coming spring will make my 25th year spring gobbler hunting.  I've never used a blind or a strutting decoy and never will....its about working that bird in close and playing the game hearing the sounds of spring thats what its all about!!! I also don't understand the point of shooting one with a rifle....I've had people tell me they sit on the edge of a field and shoot them at long range with a rifle when they won't come in...and I have come across two people in the woods carrying a shot gun and rifle in my 24 yrs of turkey hunting whats is the point in that...it all about killing a bird in my opinion what fun or enjoyment is in that?  My opinion but its not for me I have more respect for this awesome sport and addiction then that!!  If my dad would have started me off like that and as your described I really don't think I would be so addicted....but he didn't and I was addicted from the first hunt!  I live, sleep and eat turkey hunting and if it ever comes to that I'll quite!  Some of the greatest hunts I ever had I left with the birds still gobbling and me empty handed!

God Bless

This ^^^^  While I have used a blind and decoys,especially with my kids,its more about the interaction with birds than anything.Neat to have them answer your calls,even if they do never come into sight.While not a big decoy user it is neat to watch some reactions when they are used.I still deer hunt but its to fill the freezer with meat.Ive passed up shooting deer while watching turkeys so the shot wouldnt spook off the birds.Just something about chasing turkeys that alot of people dont get!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Big Treble

I hear ya, and don't disagree, but this situation is the same in any type of hunting. And depends heavily on the technology that's available when we enter the sport.  The change is so gradual not so sure any of us see it until we stop changing and look forward.

SOME;
Non camo hunters complain about those that get camo'ed up.
Traditional muzzleloaders complain about inline muzzleloaders.
Muzzleloaders complain about rifle hunters
Shotgun slug hunters complain about deer rifle hunters.
Traditional bow hunters complain about compound bow hunters.
Compound bow hunters complain about crossbow hunters

Trust me I fit in both ends, the complainer, and the complainee, as I'm guessing we all do.

jakesdad

Quote from: darron on February 07, 2015, 10:18:27 PM
Just got permission to a local farm and although permission was granted he told me he has guys coming from nc and w.v. to hunt his 90 acres iin ohio ??? Doesnt make sense

Maybe they're family or friends?

mikejd

I have already seen it start to fizzle out. When I started about 25 yrs ago there was no one around hunting turkeys. Then about 15 yrs ago there was a turkey hunter on every corner. Now I see very few again. Low populations mean more work to get a bird so the 2 day hunters have all vanished.

J Brown

Where I hunt at in West Virginia a lot of people have quit turkey hunting which is fine with me.   :boon

Number17

You always hear people talking about "getting others involved in our sport" or "introducing somebody to the outdoors".

And then they wonder why there's a truck at every pull-off???

I'm in it for silence and solitude.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls