turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Handling recoil?

Started by Model 1300, February 03, 2015, 06:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model 1300

My shoulder doesn't handle recoil too well so I was wondering how you guys handle it during patterning?
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

bmhern

Bigspurs68

I'm not against a lead sled but I would rather put a small sandbag between my shoulder and the butt of the gun. You would be surprised how much recoil it absorbs.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

FullChoke

If I couldn't handle recoil during a shooting session I would get a teenager to abuse help.  That what we make them for.   :icon_thumright:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cphill

I dont care for recoil either and never enjoyed a pump or single shot 12 ga had a few but I have used a 20 the last few years and that was the best way I deal with it

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

CT Spur Collector

Smaller gun?  .410 maybe?   20 gauge auto??

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on February 03, 2015, 06:47:11 PM
I'm not against a lead sled but I would rather put a small sandbag between my shoulder and the butt of the gun. You would be surprised how much recoil it absorbs.

^^^^^^^
This is what I do.

owlhoot

Quote from: FullChoke on February 03, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
If I couldn't handle recoil during a shooting session I would get a teenager to abuse help.  That what we make them for.   :icon_thumright:
Ya   Other than thAt a past recoil absorber

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

RutnNStrutn

During patterning, I wear one of those strap on sissy pads. Then I put a pillow between the pad and the butt of the gun. ;D My 3-1/2" turkey load kicks like a mule, and I've had surgery on my shooting shoulder.
Funny thing is, when that gobbler is standing out there, and I'm not wearing any pad or pillow, I don't feel a thing!! :lol:

Model 1300

I've heard of putting the foam from your gun case between your shoulder and the gun. Does that actually work?
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

Snoodsniper

tomstopper

I know some guys who use a soft piece of Styrofoam between their shoulder and butt of the gun....

jwhunter

Get a 20 guage auto. They kill turkeys just fine. I am 160 lbs and when I shoot my 870 supermag I roll further than the turkey does!  :z-dizzy: :)

Big Treble

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-Shooters-Friend-Recoil-Pad/740373.uts

I've used this at the range for years.  Can seriously shoot till your hearts content without developing a flinch or any bruising.

I thought it was a BS product until at the range with my brother shooting muzzleloaders, and he handed me one.  They claim it will take 70% of the recoil, and I'd say it's fairly close.  I never used it in the field, but is always in my range next to my Caldwell Rock BR.