turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bowhunting from a blind

Started by donjuan, February 02, 2015, 08:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

For those of you that bowhunt from a blind, or even gun hunt I guess, do you set up your blind ahead of time or do you set it up the morning you hunt?  How close do you get to the roost?  Does setting it up make too much noise?  Just wondering how you guys do it.  :thanks:
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

wvlimbhanger

When I hunt from a blind I carry it in and sit it up the morning I hunt.  Probably 100-125 yards is closest I've been to any on the roost.  I usually only hunt from a blind in the rain so I am sure it muffles the noise it makes setting up.  Definitely try to get in there earlier if it's not raining.

Mike Honcho

I echo what WVLimbhanger says...most of the time if I use a blind I go in extra early in the morning , very dark and set up about 125 yds away from where I have roosted birds the night before or I have a very good idea they will be there.  I hunt agricultural fields, soybean or corn stubble next to woods and creeks.

I use a blind when: 

1. I am hunting a field that has  little to no natural cover.
2. Taking a grandson hunting that doesn't have a lot of experience yet (blind covers movement)

cornfedkiller

I bowhunt exclusively, so 99% of my hunting is from a blind. 

If I want to be close to a roost, which I have a couple spots that I hunt on occasion that are probably about 100 yards away from a roost, I like to set my blind up mid-afternoon when I know the birds aren't around, and then sneak in early in the morning.

But most of the time, I hunt open fields, strutting zones, dusting areas, etc..

2eagles

I set my blind the morning. I use it in an area I know the birds will be using.

ridgerunner

I'll normally set it out a day or two before I hunt if I'm hunting my private lands..First I scoutthe birds, see where birds are traveling after fly down, judge from there where the best spot to set up would be. I then set my blind a day or two in advance. Sneak in opening morning and hunt. I do not always use a blind, depends how I'm hunting and the weather. Although, a hunting blind is a very productive way to take birds the birds dictate to me how I hunt them.