OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anyone hunt Fort Polk or Clear Creek WMA in Louisiana?

Started by Dconer1, January 27, 2015, 06:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dconer1

Just checkin to see if anyone here has hunted these WMA's. I never hunted a WMA and was wondering how it works. Do I Just drive down a road and park, then enter the woods? etc...I hear the hunting is excellent there and I hoping to make a trip there this year.  :turkey2:

turkey buster

turkey buster

I'll tell u like I tell my buddies who ask me about where the deer and turkeys are out there...anywhere. That's not a sarcastic answer it's just the truth. I've worked on the base for 5 years and have been in them woods on ft Polk and Peason more times than you could imagine. Simply no shortage of game

Dconer1

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the reply. Is it as simple as just riding down one of the roads, pulling over and entering the woods? (after you get your permit and stuff of course). Do you ever run into any other turkey hunters?

Crawl79

Polk and Peason both have good populations of turkey's. But if you are driving from far not the best places to hunt. The areas that are open are normally marked a week in advance but can change daily. The website is updated fairly often but not always.
You have to check the maps at the check stations. You don't want to be in the wrong area.

Crawl79

And no you can't just walk in woods without scouting.

Crawl79

Or you can and maybe get lucky but it's not that easy.

turkey buster

You will run into other hunters, and yes areas can close over night. Always check the board at the sign in stations. m not trying to argue about the scouting but I work in them woods and I'm telling you that you will not pick a road that don't have turkeys or deer on them. Granted some areas are better than others but none are bad

turkey buster

I've spent 2 weeks-3weeks  a month for the last 5 years in the woods of Ft Polk mostly and Peason a great bit too. A lot of people ask me where to hunt and it's not a lie to say anywhere. Vernon Parish is the #1 parish in the state for turkeys killed evey year and it nearly always doubles the 2nd place parish. It's reported every year through the tagging system. The main reason is ft Polk, Peason, clear creek, and kisatchie offering so much public land. Out of the 4 ft Polk and Peason is the best two. I've heard others down play them but I know where I see their trucks. They don't like the idea of new hunters hunting their spots but I'm not that way. I'm not accusing anyone on here of that! I'm just telling you go to ft Polk or peason spend a weekend and you will see

vmorel1

Thanks for this info! I'm up in North LA and hunted Bodcau last year without much success (I did see 6 hens over 4 days, but no toms and heard no gobbles). I might have to try out Ft. Polk this year.

Not to hijack, but has anyone had success up in Caddo/Bossier/DeSoto parishes?

turkey buster

A little further south in natchitoches parish check out red dirt and kisatchie national forest. A little more hills to climb but great hunting

Dconer1

awesome info guys. Thanks. I think Im going to go on a 4-6 day trip and hit up both ft. polk and Peason. Im pumped! :z-guntootsmiley:

vmorel1

Quote from: turkey buster on January 28, 2015, 06:11:03 PM
A little further south in natchitoches parish check out red dirt and kisatchie national forest. A little more hills to climb but great hunting

Thanks! I'll definitely make a trip down there. Good Luck this season fellow coonasses!

870-Wingmaster

As Crawl said, you have to check the website to make sure that there are open areas in Ft Polk and Peason.  The whole WMA can actually be closed to hunting.  I can actually be closed for dang near the whole season...   Check before you plan your hunt, and don't get caught in a closed area, especially by a bomb!!!!

http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/Hunt2/Hunt/default.htm

silvestris

Since Ft. Polk and Peason Ridge are both federal venues, do not under any circumstances hunt in an area that is closed that day for military maneuvers or you might end up in federal court which can be much worse than state court.  Check the closed areas daily at check-in and know where you and the closed areas are.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game