turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Permatex in place of loctite

Started by rusty4269, January 25, 2015, 04:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty4269

Any one ever use Permatex threadlocker in place of Loctite? Is one better than the other? My guess is they are basically the same thing just different brands but the only permatex product I've ever used is gasket sealer. The reason I'm asking is the local auto parts store sells permatex and not loctite. And I hate Walmart. lol. I'm goint to loctite/permatex my scope mount screws.
Jeremiah 29:11

dirt road ninja

I've used both and they appeared to both work, but not for scope mounting. I don't recommend using it on scope mounts. Clean and dry the threads and torque to the manufacture's recommend pressure.   

rusty4269

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 25, 2015, 04:44:15 PM
I've used both and they appeared to both work, but not for scope mounting. I don't recommend using it on scope mounts. Clean and dry the threads and torque to the manufacture's recommend pressure.   
I've had a few people recomend using loctite on my base mount. Any reason you don't recommend it?

dirt road ninja

Mainly because my rifle smith told me not to. If mounted properly and torqued you should not need it. I move scopes off of rifles all the time and never had a problem. You might damage something when you remove it. I'll probably be in the minority on this, but it's what I do.

Gamblinman

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 25, 2015, 05:09:55 PM
Mainly because my rifle smith told me not to. If mounted properly and torqued you should not need it. I move scopes off of rifles all the time and never had a problem. You might damage something when you remove it. I'll probably be in the minority on this, but it's what I do.

I agree.

Some manufacturers have a waiver in their warranty if you use a thread locker.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

rusty4269

I think I worded this wrong. I'm going to loctite the screws on my top base rail. Into my receiver. Not the screws holding the scope on the rail. Not sure if that's what you guys were talking about. Sorry I made this confusing.

dirt road ninja

I don't use it anywhere on my weapons, but I'm probably in the minority. If it makes you feel better use it. Either way I doubt you will notice a difference between the two brands. Please let us know which way you go.

rusty4269

After reading your reply I'm leaning towards not using it. If the screws loosen then I can always put it on later. If I don't need it then I don't need it. Thanks for the input.

Skeeterbait

OK, here is a reason TO use Loctite.  If your putting steel screws into an aluminum receiver, metals of different types in close contact are bad to corrode over time if they get wet.  This is called galvanic corrosion.  All it takes is a little acidic water and the static charge in the air.  This results in the eating away of the aluminum threads in the receiver.  A steel rifle receiver and steel screws are less of a problem.  Loctite helps insulate the two metals and reduces this problem.  However it is recommended to use the purple Loctite which is specially formulated for small screws.  It isn't as readily available but can be ordered online.  I have purchased it from MidwayUSA.