News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to me Win 1300 compact/youth 20g

Started by jgwills, January 24, 2015, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgwills

Title says all.

Picked this up in pretty poor shape.  Once I got it all cleaned up action was just as slick as I remembered shooting 1300s were supposed to feel like.

If you read my new member intro thread I mainly picked this up for next to nothing and honestly didn't need it but since I've never had a 20 gauge before figured why not.  My intention was to have another HD tool available in case the poop hits the fan one day because it never hurts to have options.  Also would be very easy on the shoulder having fun busting up clays at the range.  I wasn't really thinking potential turkey tool but the only reason I stumbled onto this forum was that laminated forend.  Googling for the compact/youth sized 2 3/4 slide tube wound me up here purchasing a used one up for sale from a forum member here.

Figured I'd share my project.  Never hurts to broaden your knowledge base either and after looking around on this forum realizing this gun could be very effective given the right choke and load so I see that as a bonus.  No immediate plans to go hunting turkey but if the opportunity presents itself glad I've got some good info from this forum from you all.  Thanks.

I loved the laminated grips on my .22 revolver so much I decided while fixing this Winchester 1300 up I'd do the same there. Still need to track down the matching buttstock. I've already got a boyd's laminated stock in the same color scheme picked out for the .22 bolt ruger compact rifle project I'm starting next.  I think it would be fun to have a matching laminated camo stock/grip theme on my three "child" guns as my friend calls them lol.  Hey I'm a small adult at 5ft 5 inches and barely 150 lbs so these compact/youth sized firearms fit me better than the adult versions.

Even though my goal isn't a turkey tool I hope you don't mind me sharing my project here.  Spring Creek Calls, the member whom sold me the forend said it would be nice to see the end result so this threads primarily for him but figured I'd share with all. 

Cheers
Jeremy
Low Speed High Drag

Spring Creek Calls

The forend looks great, hope you find a stock.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

heartofdixie

Quote from: jgwills on January 24, 2015, 07:32:39 PM
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy.  I have that same gun...20ga Winchester 1300, NWTF model.  1st gun my Daddy ever bought me when I was 8 or 9yold

Last year, I converted mine from a youth into a full size turkey killing machine.  Killed 5 birds with it last season.  To convert it from youth to full size, you'll also need to buy and install a new (longer) slide arm for the pump action. 

Also, I know where you can buy a stock to match your forearm.  Let me know if you need that info/link.

Here's a before/after picture of my conversion...I Love This Gun...

I can easily and quickly swap out the stocks after turkey season and go back to the original look.  I love the wood on the original stocks.  I like the flexibility of being able to switch out the stocks.  Its like having 2 different guns.

I'm running a SumToy choke and Fed HW #7s.  Getting a great 'hunting' pattern.  Dropped 3 birds last yr at 40yds +.  One of them was too far to be shootin', but he died.  ;D

jgwills

@ heartofdixe..... Hey, appreciate the information but I already had a stock on its way.  Finally got around to installing it this afternoon. 

Now I have to get the mag cap that has the stud on it for a swivel and drill a pilot hole in the stock for a stud there as well so I can put a sling on it.  Also thinking of going with some vent rib clamp on fiber sights.  Any recommendations you folks have would be great.  I've got a couple of different chokes now so I need to get out to a range and do some patterning.  All in all I'm very happy with the way this gun has turned out.  Should provide me many good years of service.  I did go the other day and try my hand at some slug shooting.  I was ringing a 10 inch gong at 100 yards pretty consistently once I knew where to place the bead.  Was shooting off a sandbag.  Love that sound of screaming lead slamming into a steel plate. 

Thanks for letting me share with you guys.  I'm just glad I was able to find the 2 3/4 laminate forend super cheap (again thanks spring creek calls) as I prefer it to the further out one you find on the adult guns.  Still not sure but considering cutting off an inch on this new one to bring it back to same length of pull as the youth one.  Going to have to hit the range and see how it feels first.

Now I can start turning my attention back to the .22 bolt gun project I want to start.  When I have it all squared away I'll report back with a family shot of camo laminates.

Cheers all.
J

Low Speed High Drag