turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

jerky making in stove oven

Started by Wrangler95, January 24, 2015, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler95

How is the best way to make jerky in oven?I thought maybe to use toothpicks to hang jerky from oven racks
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

donjuan

Yessir. For deer and geese, or I guess turkey, I cut the meat into half inch strips about 4 inches long and soak them in a mixture of soy sauce, worcestshire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and steak seasoning for about 2 days in the fridge.  Then hang the strips with a toothpick, or long wood bbq skewers in the oven rack.  Cook for 2 hours or until done at 200 degreees. Make sure you put tinfoil or a pan underneath to catch the drippings or they will burn on the oven heat element and make an awful mess.  One downside is that the oven makes alot of steam in your kitchen and the whole house will smell like jerky for awhile, so your bride might want you doing it on a warm day so you can open the windows.
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

jakesdad

We've always cooked ours in the oven by setting the oven as low as it can go(usually around 175)and "cooking" until done,usually 2-3 hrs.One trick we learned is to prop open the door with a wooden spoon.We also use those cooling racks made for cookies that we set in a cookie sheet in the oven.propping the door open a smidge allows air to circulate.Remember you arent really trying to cook jerky just dry it out.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Wrangler95

Thanks,now if I can make a turkey die
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Bigspurs68

It helps to prop the door open a inch or so on the lowest setting. Take it out before it's dry or it'll be too dry.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"