turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wet box call?

Started by Izzyjoe, January 19, 2015, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzyjoe

I've never had it happen, but what if a box call got wet, or any call that matter.  Are they ruined, or can they be dried out.  And also what is the best kind of chalk to use, I've been using crayola board chalk from Walmart. Am I using the wrong kind?

Idratherb

you want railroad chalk I believe

legend

Crayola chalk has oil in it.you don't want that.carpenter chalk or railroad chalk is what you want.the wet thing depends on how much finish is on your call and how wet it gets.

Izzyjoe

Is carpenters chalk string chalk, like for popping lines on wood, cause my dad has some of that.

legend

yes but not in the powder form that comes in a plastic bottle now days.you want the piece of chalk that they dragged their line through before they chalked something.its half moon shaped and blue in color.

mgm1955

Dropped a box in a creek once. Dried it off as good as I could and left it out and open when I got home. Maybe I was lucky but it dried completely and still sounds great.

dirt road ninja

This is a good chalk.
http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=CH13&cc=T&dn=1

Try not to submerge your box call for extended periods of time or store them long term in a wet towel. If your hunting and get rained on for hours just put it out opened in a open dry area (not in direct sunlight) with a little air circulation and it will be fine.

firedup

You want wax and oil free chalk all the way.  Several brands and varieties out there.  Comes in half rounds or even big ole sticks.  Most hardware stores will have something.  If it gets soaking wet dry SLOWLY.  In any case, wet or even damp...dry SLOWLY.  Soak up all the moisture you can and then set it on top the tv, computer or some sort of electronic appliance that generates real LOW, SLOW heat. Stay away from ovens, microwaves and truck dashboards.  :(  If it doesn't split it should dry ok.   

Izzyjoe

I happen to have some of that half moon chalk, didn't know what was used for, I use it to chalk a file before I use it. Thanks guys! I was just wondering what to do if I got caught out in the rain, and my box calls got wet, I carry a small backpack for my gear,lunch guess I could carry a big ziplock bag to put them in the need araises.  I don't hunt in the rain, but sometimes you get caught out there.

firedup

A plastic bread bag is a life saver.  Plus you can actually run it inside the bag in less than downpour conditions.  ;)