Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

General Discussion

Started by nickhrp, January 19, 2015, 12:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

What would you all use?  142 in the 10 with #4's out of the 835. Or 130 with federal HW 7's. With 20ga.

turkey buster

The ideal of the 20 gauge is the toting a lighter gun with less recoil to me. So I'd say carry it. But them 4's will rock his world!! Kind of a what you in the mood for thing

Gooserbat

Try it but if you don't like the results then get ahold of William st Sumtoy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ericjames

I understand the weight idea of it. My only problem is I've never shot a bird with the HW 7's and I don't trust them. I guess I have to start somewhere. I know once I shoot one with it I will probably fall in love. The recoil is probably half what the 835 is. That I really like

Gooserbat

Shoot one into plywood(not OSB) at 40 and then put your lead load into it.  I know it will out penetrate lead 5s and likely your 4s.  The stuff is plane poison.  I swatted one last year at about 55 misjudged yards. 

FedHW is a different as animal than lead, its even a different animal than Hevi.  I've got a 10+ year supply and still buying it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ericjames

Ok thanks for the input. I'll try it out on some plywood. I really would like to use the 20ga.  I don't wanna buy a bunch of HW up because this summer I wanna try to buy me some tss. That's the only reason I bought a 20. I want to load up some 8x9 tss or just straight 8's. I just didn't have time to get everything bought up and have it tested. Hopefully I can have it done before next year

turkey buster

Well bought a youth model 870 20 gauge with 21 in barrel today. It's at my gunsmiths shop and getting drilled and tapped with a base installed. Bought 6 boxes of heavy weight 7's in 3in today on bass pros website and picked some magnum blends up in his shop. I got a tightwad I'm gonna try first. Optics is gonna be my mueller quick shot that I took off a 870 12 ga that I sold.

Gooserbat

Sounds like your off to a good start
NWTF Booth 1623

ericjames

Sounds good. Our youth season opens in the morning but I'm not gonna be in the woods carrying anyone. Can't wait until next Saturday.

turkey buster

cphill

Good looking gun man

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

turkey buster

I wonna go out with target loads and sight the mueller in now, but I'm holding off until I got time to do it all.

Illini Tom

lookin good, buster. you're gonna need a bigger gun vault  :)

anybody been out listenin for gobbles?
i was headed out this morning but wheeler was dead. new battery on the charger. maybe tomorrow  :turkey2:

turkey buster

The state of stupidana (Louisiana) opened our season a week late this year. March 28 compared to the 21st. Youth also opens late as it opens the 21st. I've already seen them henned up and strutting

ericjames

I have. I just ain't heard any. The rain won't leave me alone  either it's showing rain for about the next 10 days