OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpets and gloves

Started by Big Timber, January 18, 2015, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Timber

The past 3 seasons i have been using a trumpet as my go to call and with great success, I have found that I can get a lot better sound not using gloves. Do you trumpet guys wear gloves when hunting using a trumpet?

merocustomcalls

I wear gloves while hunting with trumpets.  I have no problem spending whatever dollar amount it takes to maximize my dexterity in the woods.  This usually means wearing Under Armor brand gloves.  Not trying at all to be a spokesman for them but they make awesome gloves.  I stick with tight form fitting gloves.  I realize that they make my fingers somewhat bigger and I adjust how much my fingers are blocking the barrel to accommodate for this. 

I also play the trumpet one handed at times when the bird is extra close.  Usually just clucks while playing one handed.  I will keep the shotgun on my shoulder and drape the trumpet over the stock.  I do this only as a last resort on the stubborn gobblers. 

Jobugg12

I don't like the sound with the gloves on.......so I don't wear them.

Turkeyman62

I just cut half the  thumb and fingers off the gloves :gobble:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Crawdad

Like Mark, I don't wear them while using Trumpet.

paboxcall

Quote from: Turkeyman62 on January 18, 2015, 04:09:26 PM
I just cut half the  thumb and fingers off the gloves :gobble:

:agreed:

If it's warm enough I will go without gloves until I set up.  When I set up, the gloves have the fingers cut off; makes running a slate / striker easier too.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

West Augusta

I cut the thumb and fingers off also.  I can't run a pot call with full gloves either.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

KPcalls

They definetly effect the sound.  I quit wearing gloves along time ago. One less thing to keep up with.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I never wear gloves ever they take away from any call in sound.

blackfalcon

A little soot on the back of your hands works well (get some from the wood stove...it usually gets on them from loading the stove anyways... I don't recommend using a candle black method 
If you work on your vehicle on the way to your hunting spot ..your hands will be..well...camo..
Camo paint and decals are available to try unless you are in too much of a hurry as I am....
I don't usually wear gloves when calling...if I have them I wear them to help keep the mosquitoes and black flies off my hands...turkeys have incredible vision..their hearing is even better
They usually notice my gun barrel before they look at the hands...the most important thing is to remember to load the gun.

Crawdad

Big Timber

I take a wine bottle cork and burn one end and then rub the back of my hands. I also keep a box of baby wipes in my truck to clean my hands after the hunt, works really well!

Idratherb

I never where gloves to me it hampers me while running trumpets, pots and even boxes. I just camo my hands with paint

Spur806

I don't use a glove on my right hand, that is the hand I hold my trumpets, strikers and lids, and I usually lose gloves anyway.