OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite/most effective call

Started by Model 1300, January 17, 2015, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model 1300

What is your favorite/ most effective call you have used.

Example- Box, pot, diaphram, wing bone, tube or other
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

Gooserbat

The easy answer is the one the tom responds to.  That said I'll end up using a diaphragm most of the time. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jbird22

Idratherb

i have to agree with the two comments I already posted

paboxcall

Favorite:  a box call (short, mini or long)

Most effective:  box / trumpet / wing bone.

Couldn't even count how many turkeys I've gone to strike with a box (including scratch boxes), trumpet or wing bone, that didn't respond to the mouth call.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

hunter62

depends on what they come to answer to on that day but I have called and killed many birds with my first road  hen they sure do like it longbox butternut and cedar .when it get rough the rd hen comes out

Idratherb

thats because Jimmy Markey was with you paboxcall

callmakerman

Slate call is my long time favorite and go to call but in the last few years a scratch box and or a turpin/ cost style short box have been vey effective.

drum817

"MOST" of the time I'll start a bird on a pot call or box and finish on a diaphragm.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Bigspurs68

For striking birds, good sounding pot call. A diaphram to finish things.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

West Augusta

Either a Black Locust or Dymondwood striker on a glass pot call although I'm starting to do pretty good with a trumpet in the rain.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

Longbox versatility!! After that whatever the turkeys want to hear.

hunter22

I have seen a few die in front of my gun barrel. I have killed them with about every call out there. For years I relied heavily on a good slate call. The last couple years the gobblers have responded really well to raspy glass/crystal pot calls and scratch boxes. A good scratch box in the right hands may be one of the most under looked and realistic sounding calls out there.

willy8457

A long box in Ipe over Butternut,it works well in the spring but it is deadly in the fall ,nice kee kee's up front and raspy yelps.

VA_Birdhunter

My most favorite and most successful is a mouth call hands down!  I believe a mouth call is the most realistic call you can use.   Following that is a good slate call and the best and most deadly to date that I can find is my SS slate call....it's plain nasty!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens